INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Album  (Read 458 times)

DrIan

Unknown Album
« on: October 04, 2020, 08:53:39 am »

I have just purchased Periphery (Priya Darshini) [WAV DOWNLOAD] - 44.1/16 from Chesky Records. When I try and install in Media Centre 27 on my PC it gets thrown in a pile of junk and is "Unknown Album" according to the JRiver Media Centre software. How do I fix this?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unknown Album
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:39:57 am »

Update the tags, including Album and  Artist. An album is defined by Album Artist (Auto), which is set according to Album and Artist.

Look at the Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto) entry in the Wiki for more details.

wer

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 12:43:15 pm »

As dtc implies, the tags are broken or missing in your downloads.

WAV doesn't tag well.

I suggest you convert them to FLAC, which is lossless, so sound will be mathematically identical, and then you will have full tagging ability.  Then fill out all your metadata and do an "update tags from library" to embed the metadata (including cover art) in the FLAC files.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 06:18:53 pm »

Many of Chesky's new releases are wav only, not sure why. In the past they have used flac format.

As wer said,  wav downloads probably do not have album and artist tags, since tagging is non-standard in wav files. And, the MC database did not have the album in i, tso you need to enter the tags yourself.    Wer's process will store the tags in the flac file so you do not have the problem again.

Chesky really should provide these albums in flac, with tags. Some people claim that wav is better than flac, but I do not think Chesky has taken that position in the past.

MC stores tags for wav files in its database, so you do not have to have them in the files. But having them in the files makes the files much more portable.

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »

Some people claim that wav is better than flac...

And those people are talking complete and absolute rubbish.  dtc knows this of course and is just commenting on Chesky's practices.

The sound of FLAC and WAV are absolutely identical, and anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.  WAV has zero advantages, and tagging is just better supported in FLAC.  I just mention this so that no one will be confused.

Any number of reasons might prompt a label to release in one format vs another and I have no idea why they chose what they chose or why they would switch. The major classical labels release as FLAC.  Apple sells music in their own lossless format because, well, of course they do. :)

If I had to guess, it's because WAV is the only lossless format Itunes supports that is not an Apple format.  If they released in FLAC, itunes users would have to convert. If they released in ALAC of AIFF, everyone else would have to convert.  So they settled on the lowest common denominator, WAV.  Trying to please everyone but actually pleasing no one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up