INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Feature Request - How??  (Read 555 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
New Feature Request - How??
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:08:13 pm »

How is the new feature request supposed to work?
We just post and see if request gains support of community?

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: New Feature Request - How??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:27:50 pm »

There is a thread for feature requests for version 27 here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126160.150.html

Sometimes all it takes is one person to request, other times additional support is very helpful in letting JRiver know how popular a requested feature could be.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:34 pm »

The better you document a request while remaining concise;
The more you demonstrate that you understand MC and have considered alternatives ways of doing something, and have adopted the way MC works.;
The less you are just expressing a desire or whim to manage your media some way, such as "How software xyz does it" or "How I always did it", such as browsing files by folder;
The more you have helped others on the forum;
The more likely it is that your request will help a lot of users;

Then the more likely your requests will be responded to and implemented...

...unless you just have a really good idea, because that is good for JRiver and all users, and will likely go on the list of things to do.

If you don't understand what MC is doing, and perceive a problem or shortfall in functionality, but don't explain that and just ask for new functionality to "fix the problem", your request will likely be ignored. If you're lucky a user will ask why you are requesting new functionality, and drill down into what you really need or mean. If you state there is a bug in MC without evidence and a repeatable set of steps, that produces the same result when other users or JRiver follow them, and state you need it fixed with new functionality, you will likely receive no response at all. But JRiver would probably look at it anyway, before dismissing your post.

The number of times I have seen requests for new functionality from users who joined the forum in the last day or so, and the post is their first or close to it, is amazing. Frankly, I think of those requests as just trolls or noise. Sometimes those people just need to learn how to use MC, search and read the Forums and Wiki, and then they are happy without new functionality.

Most requests don't get a lot of discussion, or even feedback, from JRiver but they still get considered and if good, often implemented.

Note that you don't have to use the Feature Requests thread. You can create your own thread and make a request. Give the thread a meaningful, easily understood title if you do. Some people preface the title with "Request:", but that isn't necessary. If there is no discussion about a request after a few days to a week, it is fine to bump (add another post) the thread, so it pops to the top of the forum again. Evidence is that all threads get read by JRiver.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Gedeon

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 03:32:45 am »

Some times you demand users too much precision and work. We are users, clients, no more. Blaming us for the lack of certain improvements isn't. IMHO, really fair.

Many of us here are nothing but clients willing every year to find a good reason to upgrade from previous version, hence, we ask for features/changes, in the way we think about them.

You can't expect every user/client to behave like expert programmers or highly skilled power users, or UI engineers.

If the answer is the silence or "go to that submenu.. with 10 clicks and 5 subtask, you can get It", "search un forum"… "search"... not alway encouraging him to come back.

Final users don't always look for that, and some answers could be eventually sound a bit rude. And the less users here the less support for new features will be found.

Just willing to see a truly better and improved product every year in ways users expect/demand.

Thanks for your time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:49:54 am »

Some times you demand users too much precision and work. We are users, clients, no more. Blaming us for the lack of certain improvements isn't. IMHO, really fair.
You're talking to other users here, not to JRiver.  I work for JRiver.  But the answers above are accurate.

Many of us here are nothing but clients willing every year to find a good reason to upgrade from previous version, hence, we ask for features/changes, in the way we think about them.

You can't expect every user/client to behave like expert programmers or highly skilled power users, or UI engineers.
Nobody does.  I don't know why you think that.  We do expect you to do your own homework, and we try to help when you need it.
If the answer is the silence or "go to that submenu.. with 10 clicks and 5 subtask, you can get It", "search un forum"… "search"... not alway encouraging him to come back.

Final users don't always look for that, and some answers could be eventually sound a bit rude. And the less users here the less support for new features will be found.

Just willing to see a truly better and improved product every year in ways users expect/demand.

We do our best.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 06:52:08 am »

You might get a better picture of JRiver's work by reading this:

JRiver's Business Model
Pages: [1]   Go Up