INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here is how to rename the WDM driver in Device Manager  (Read 508 times)

Fred P

Here is how to rename the WDM driver in Device Manager
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:01 am »

Hello,

I have been messing a bit with that for a while so I thought I would post the fix. This does not only apply to MC 27 but all MCs since 20 (since the WDM driver was introduced).

As some have mentioned in old posts, the fact that WDM drivers do not change name when you change MC versions is confusing and make people believe something is wrong. For instance, if the first time you installed the WDM driver was in MC 23, your driver is called "JRiver Media Center 23", even after you have upgraded to MC 24, 25, 26...

In fact, it made me so much believe something was wrong I threw myself in and got into extensive Windows 10 fiddling to try to remove that "old MC driver" and replace it with the "newest version".  :) I had some fun however. Good old days...

Except that in the process, I realized that my "old MC driver" was not old at all.........

Long story short:

All that is missing is a "FriendlyName" key in MC's WDM driver's set of registry keys. That key is currently missing. The value for that "FriendlyName" key could be "JRiver Media Center". I tracked the Driver key for my MC WDM driver, found it in the registry, added that "FriendlyName" key with "JRiver Media Center" as a value. Then, right away, the name becomes "JRiver Media Center" in Device Manager (this is the preferred key for Device Manager...). And, guess what, after a reboot, the name becomes "JRiver Media Center" across all Windows (Sound Settings, Sound Controllers, etc). No more "JRiver Media Center 26 (JRiver Media Center 23)" limbo, for instance.

I believe MC's developers will clearly understand what I am talking about and add the key to the next build (add it only if it is missing - it is not missing anymore in my install :) ).

Hope this helps!

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up