INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is transferring "number of plays" to new install possible?  (Read 440 times)

CalJake

• Recent member
Is transferring "number of plays" to new install possible?
« on: October 05, 2020, 01:33:12 pm »

I recently made the required move from Win 7 to Win 10 on a new PC.  I can't say enough thanks for how incredibly simple it was to move Media Center.

Only minor thing - there's no way to move the "number of plays" from the old install?  My library is huge (don't want to add manually), and I've found that's a feature I really like and would like to transfer to the new install. 

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is transferring "number of plays" to new install possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »

Restore the library from the old PC's installation of MC.

CalJake

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:42:12 pm »

Thanks.  That's what I did, unless I'm not following.  Back up library on old PC.  Install Media Center on new PC, then restore the library for the back up library on the old PC.  Every thing worked fine - all settings, customizations, library's complete, etc.  The only thing missing is the play count.  Old PC had Media Center 25, new has Media Center 27, if that matters.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:40:27 pm »

Install Media Center on new PC, then restore the library for the back up library on the old PC.

You don't restore on the old PC. You copy the backup file to the new PC, and restore on the new PC. I hope that's what you meant.

If you restored on the new PC, the information should have come over. You could try running the restore again.

Double check that the [Number Plays] field has data after the restore.  It should.

If for some reason it does not, that would be really odd.  Another, less efficient, way to force it would be to go to the old PC, set the option to save [Number Plays] in the file tags, then do an "Update tags from library" for all your files.  That will modify your media files, saving the play count in them.  You'd then need to copy those modified files to the new PC, and do an "Update Library from tags" which will then read the [Number Plays] tag from the files.  But that step should not be necessary.

CalJake

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:57:15 pm »

Whoops. That was a typo regarding restoring on the old computer.

I did figure out the issue though.  Entirely my fault.

Thanks again wer for the help.  All resolved
Pages: [1]   Go Up