INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A plea for some file handling stuff...  (Read 1274 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
A plea for some file handling stuff...
« on: April 14, 2003, 08:51:10 am »

I know we're getting close here but I spent this weekend pulling my hair out while trying to do file related stuff in MC.  The 3 issues below are also in my bug list but I thought I'd just take the opportunity to share...

I just got a hard drive firewire enclosure and thought I'd back up some of my recently recently imported tracks.  Seemed a simple task until I remembered that Move/Copy doesn't include the ability to create directories.  OK, so I thought about a "send to portable device", except THAT doesn't create directories either although I'd swear it did once upon a time.   Next I tried "external tools" figuring I'd just enter a "copy" command line that had [album artist]\[album], etc. in the paths.  Wrong again.  External tools only processes the [filename] field.  So, I'm stuck.  I can't see any way to copy files from MC including their directories.

OK, on to problem 2.  I normally rip to APE then convert to MP3.  I also use the auto album artist feature which depends on tracks from compilation CDs being arranged in common directories instead of being broken up into directories based on the track artist.   My ripping settings are set appropriately.   Unfortunately, the converter doesn't have the file naming template option that the ripper does and forces [artist]/[album] naming.  So, a convert to MP3 scatters the compilation CD tracks all over the track artist directories which breaks auto album artist AND make the tracks all show up as incomplete albums.

Finally, over time I've developed 2 file reference schemes that I'd like to collapse.  Some files are referenced with a UNC file name "\\server\usr\music..." and some are referenced with a mapped drive letter "i:\usr\music\...".   MC has gotten too "smart" however and won't let me fix the references.   If I attempt to change the reference (direct edit of the file name, find and replace, etc.), MC tries to copy the file to the new destination not realizing it's actually the same file.  The pop-up comes up asking if I want to overwrite and if I say yes, the copy fails because the file is in use (of course it is, it's the same file) and the library change get's rolled back.  If I say no, again the library change is rolled back.   An "ignore" option would be nice.

These are the last 3 hurdles I have with MC9.  Any chance for some relief?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

Re: A plea for some file handling stuff...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 09:15:08 am »

To move files here's what you do:

- 1. Move the files outside of MJ.
- 2. Do a find and replace on the filename doing a find for the old root of all ur music:
ie C:\my music
and replace it with the new path ie D:\My Music

Make sure u do the move before not after as otherwise MC will try to move it all for u :)

And if u do it this way it does create dir's, trust me, I had it try to move 10 gigs :)

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 09:45:55 am »

Thanks Nila, but I don't want to move the music, just correct the references (assuming you're referencing the third issue).   The files are all in the correct place it's just that some of them are referenced via a drive letter and some via UNC path.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 10:26:18 am »

RemyJ,

Try using the Synchronization feature to synchronize files to your hard drive (Right click on the drive letter under CD, DVD & Handhelds). If you synchronize your "Recently Imported" smartlist, this should keep you up to date.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 11:11:27 am »

It's a bug that MC doesn't recognize that the mapped and non-mapped filenames are the same.  We'll try to fix that one.  Reminding us never hurts.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RemyJ

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 04:03:28 pm »

RemyJ,

Try using the Synchronization feature to synchronize files to your hard drive (Right click on the drive letter under CD, DVD & Handhelds). If you synchronize your "Recently Imported" smartlist, this should keep you up to date.

Thanks Steve, but the directory structure created follows the tree: "Playlists/Recently Imported/...".  Not quite what I was looking for.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 04:08:34 pm »

It's a bug that MC doesn't recognize that the mapped and non-mapped filenames are the same.  We'll try to fix that one.  Reminding us never hurts.

Thanks.

Thanks Matt.  I'll keep reminding you.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

RemyJ

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 03:37:02 pm »

8. Changed: MC now understands when UNC, mapped drive, or local filenames are the same

Thanks Matt!  One down, two to go.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up