INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flac File metadata  (Read 527 times)

Darkkarma

Flac File metadata
« on: October 09, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »

How can I get JRiver Media Center 27 for Windows to arrange my albums by album artist rather than contributing artist? Under the "artist" tab I have a huge group called "(multiple artists)" and the albums are split up according to "contributing artist" which is happening with most of my R&B and Rap albums. Can anyone help?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Flac File metadata
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:53:08 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

MC can arrange and organize your albums however you want, literally. If you can figure out a really ridiculous scheme, MC can do it.  That is its strength.

In order to achieve whatever you want, you have to align three things:
1. The organization of your tags
2. The contents of your tags
3. The structure of your views

For #1, this means you have to decide on a system of organization. You need to decide what a particular tag is going to mean or represent, and then you have to stick with that, rigorously.  For example, with classical music, consider the [Artist] tag.  Are you going to have the mean the composer (Beethoven)? Or the conductor (Herbert von Karajan)? Or the orchestra that recorded it (Berlin Philharmonic)?  MC has separate tags for Composer, Conductor, and Orchestra already. Fill them out, but what to put in Artist? This is entirely up to you. No one cares what you decide, there is no right or wrong, so you need to make a system to please yourself, and stick to it. 

For #2, this means after deciding about #1, you must edit your tags to comport with your decision. Eliminate any inconsistency.

For #3, create new views, or modify existing views, to leverage #1 and #2 to show your music however you want.

In the very trivial and specific case you describe, it is normal for compilation albums to have a different [Artist] (whatever that means) for different tracks.  You might want to base your view on [Album Artist] instead.  So you might have a Sinatra album, where the [Album Artist] is Frank Sinatra, but the [Artist] for track 2 is "Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand".  When you look at a view based on [Artist] that album will show under "(multiple artists)" as you observed. If you look at it in a view based on [Album Artist] it will show up under "Frank Sinatra" since you should set the [Album Artist] tag for every track on that album to be "Frank Sinatra".  Clearly you can do this for your Rap albums, to address songs by "Loud guy featuring nincompoop".

This is very general advice.  If you need more specific help, you will have to post screenshots of how the music is tagged, showing all the relevant fields, and how your view is constructed.

I suggest you look at this article: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tagging

To learn how to create or modify views, so that you can have one by [Album Artist] or whatever you want, please read Marko's excellent tutorial:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up