INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Upsampling in MC 27?  (Read 1034 times)

LennyM

• Recent member
DLNA Upsampling in MC 27?
« on: October 13, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »

I am an MC 23 user contemplating the upgrade.  I use DLNA into a digital bridge.  As I understand it, when using DLNA, upsampling is not available in MC 23.

My question is whether audio upsampling while using DLNA is available in MC 27.  If so, what are the parameters?  That might include any of:  PCM > PCM  DSD > DSD or PCM > DSD.

Thank you.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Upsampling in MC 27?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 09:49:21 pm »

Yes, it is available, but obviously you have to convert the output format to enable DSP processing; sending the file intact as DLNA normally does is just that: intact and unaltered.

Read these two articles to learn how:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSP_Over_DLNA

LennyM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 10:48:07 pm »

Thank you for your response.  I read the articles.  They tell me that there are DLNA options now available that were not in MC 23.  It advises me very generally on how.  But it does not tell me what options are available in MC 27.  That was my question.

My DLNA renderer can handle any digital format I can throw at it. So I ask again what are the options?

To be specific, in MC 27 for sending to the DLNA bridge:
          What are the upsampling options, if any, for 44.1/16 files?
          What are the upsampling options, if any, for DSD 64 files?
          Are there options for converting PCM files to DSD?

Thank you.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:30 am »

You can download mc27 ... there is trial period ... so try before you buy ... can ask in this forum if not sure how to set up what you want
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:17:47 am »

Your question was "whether audio upsampling while using DLNA is available in MC 27".  I answered that. Your question on "parameters" was vague compared to your followup post.

My expectation was that you would go and look in the app for yourself, using the knowledge gleaned from those articles.

I'd suggest you download a copy of MC27 and try it for free.  Then you can look at the options dialog indicated by those articles, and read all the options, and look at the output format module of DSP Studio and see all the upsampling options.

And then you can try them out to see if you like it.

I'm a user just like you, so keep that in mind, and I'm not at the pc right now to take screenshots for you or transcribe all the options into a post.  Maybe someone will come along and do that for you if you don't want to look for yourself.

Since you rephrased your 2nd question a little more clearly, I'll say that generally speaking MC can upconvert to almost any format it can play. You can upconvert PCM to very high bitrates (I do 176.4k myself for CD upsampling; I think it goes to 768k) and also upsample or upconvert to DSD (I think up to 4x or 8x) if your computer is fast enough. That is a big if with DSD, as that is very processor intensive, so you'd be well advised to try it.

Good luck.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:51:18 am »

To be specific, in MC 27 for sending to the DLNA bridge:
          What are the upsampling options, if any, for 44.1/16 files?
          What are the upsampling options, if any, for DSD 64 files?
          Are there options for converting PCM files to DSD?

You can upsample 44.1/16 to 48, 88, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, 768 and to 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x DSD with the caveat that upsampling to DSD is dependent on the speed of our CPU. DSD can be DoP or native, except that 8x is, I believe, native only.

DSD 64 can be upsampled to 2x,4x, 8x DSD but that process goes through a PCM intermediate state and is cpu intensive.

PCM can be upsampled to DSD - see above.

DSD can be converted to PCM , with the caveat that the low pass filters are at 24 Khz and 48 dB/octave, and 30 or 50  Khz and 24 dB/octave, although other filters can be set using DSP options.  You may have to set your own filters with DSPs  for DLNA. I am not sure if the standard filters can be applied for DLNA. The original PCM sample rate on conversion is 1/8th the original DSD sample rate and can be be upsampled or downsampled from there.

Note than "on the fly" convertion to DSD is an all or nothing setting. Everything gets upsampled to the set DSD sample rate.  You can upsample PCM files based on their initial sample rate.

You can also selectively convert any files to any supported format by creating a new file, that can then be output through DNLA.

LennyM

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 11:00:02 am »

Thank you.  I'll give it a spin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up