INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setup: how do I send FLAC files -> Marantz PM7000N receiver?  (Read 1648 times)

jkwasnik

• Recent member
setup: how do I send FLAC files -> Marantz PM7000N receiver?
« on: October 19, 2020, 05:50:42 pm »

Hi, all --

Question #1:  Am I wasting my time trying to send 96 KHz 24-bit Hi-Res FLAC over WiFi?

Question #2:  If the above is do-able, how does one introduce JRiver MC 27 on a 64-bit Win 10 laptop to my Marantz PM7000N receiver?  I just installed an evaluation copy.  JRiver can't find the receiver.  The receiver doesn't see JRiver as a music server.

Thanks in advance,
John Kwasnik

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: setup: how do I send FLAC files -> Marantz PM7000N receiver?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:23:48 pm »

1. 96 KHz 24-bit Hi-Res FLAC stereo when converted to PCM will be 96,000 Samples/Second x 24 Bits/Sample x 2 Channels = 4,608,000 Bits/Second, or a bit over 4Mbps (Megabits per second). Most Wi-Fi can easily support that, but Wi-Fi can be a bit unreliable in terms of always maintaining the connection speed. It really depends on the quality of your hardware (Network cards, router, antennas) and the Wi-Fi environment (interference, quality of power supply, etc.) But even the worst Wi-Fi can generally handle 20 Mbps for reasonable distances, and through walls. Also, if you wish you can send the original FLAC file to the Marantz for decoding there, and the bandwidth matters a whole lots less.

2. You need to turn on Media Network, and set up a DLNA Server in MC. The Marantz will then act as a DLNA Renderer. Results vary depending on how good the DLNA Renderer in the Marantz is.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSP_Over_DLNA

Search in the forum and Wiki for specific issues. Some Wiki articles aren't referenced on that first FAQ page.
Specifically, search for threads that mention Marantz, as some people have had issues with them.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Gedeon

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 01:01:13 am »

Do both share the same wifi ? Is upnp enabled in the router/segment?

An Asus router I own doesn't allow some upnp discovery packets to pass through some segments.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 06:41:33 am »

Do both share the same wifi ? Is upnp enabled in the router/segment?

An Asus router I own doesn't allow some upnp discovery packets to pass through some segments.
Device discovery uses SSDP and it uses port 1900 so any firewall needs to allow that port.

jkwasnik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 03:06:11 pm »

Thanks, guys.  Successful test run.  Roderick, thanks for the info on setting up Media Network.  Gedeon & Jim, thanks.  Yes, it's all on home wifi.  I opened port 1900 UDP as mentioned.  I am using an older ASUS RT-N12, but it seems OK with this.

jkwasnik

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:09:17 pm »

OK ... further testing: 

A hi-res FLAC file sent from the laptop to the Marantz does not sound nearly as good as the same file played from a USB thumb drive in the Marantz.

Am I messing up the configuration?

Thanks in advance,
John Kwasnik

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 12:20:24 pm »

Check conversion settings.

wer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 12:27:23 pm »

Another possibility is that your receiver may be applying different sound settings. It's perfect possible for your receiver to apply one set of EQ or room correction settings to one input (usb stick) and different settings (or none) to a different input.  That will make a huge difference in sound. Check into that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up