INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pi 3 Buster10 & MC27. Which audio device?  (Read 880 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Pi 3 Buster10 & MC27. Which audio device?
« on: October 20, 2020, 03:50:39 pm »

I just installed Buster10 & MC27 on my Pi 3.  Restored my MC26 library and installed the MC27 license.  All appears to be working as with MC26... except the volume is relatively lower with the new setup.  I have been using "internal" volume setting and normally start at 75%.  I have to bump up to say 80% to get the same loudness as before with (Pi/Stretch/MC26).  the default audio device is:

default:CARD=b1 [ALSA] bcm2825 HDMI 1, bcm2835 hDMI 1. Default Audio Device

There are maybe 5 or 6 other HDMI options to choose from in the Audio Device drop down list.  Should I be using something other than the default?  I'm playing via hdmi to a pretty standard pioneer receiver (two speakers).

I know I can just "turn up" the volume on the receiver and/or play around with the ALSA mixer on the Pi.  Just wondered if there was a specific audio device I should be using.  Thought it was odd that the volume would vary with the new OS.  Thanks

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Pi 3 Buster10 & MC27. Which audio device?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:46:26 am »

OK, I've test the "dmix" and "hw" options for HDMI audio and the volume is the same.  Guess I'll stick with the default device, and crank up the amp, or boost the ALSAmixer a few db.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pi 3 Buster10 & MC27. Which audio device?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:53:29 pm »

OK, I've test the "dmix" and "hw" options for HDMI audio and the volume is the same.  Guess I'll stick with the default device, and crank up the amp, or boost the ALSAmixer a few db.
If the hw: or hdmi: (on some platforms) doesn't change the volume to where you want check the alsamixer for PCM volume (should be 100%) and the hdmi volume if it's settable (also should be 100%).
Pages: [1]   Go Up