INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with *Force Conversion* When Uploading  (Read 1243 times)

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Problems with *Force Conversion* When Uploading
« on: April 10, 2003, 05:58:24 am »

I have been having the same problem with the last three builds (I didn't notice it before that, so I can't say for sure it worked then either).  

I have an IPOD, running the latest firmware (v1.2.6), that I formatted with MC.  I have both MP3s and Monkey's Audio APE files in my library, but when I try to upload or sync the APE files it does some strange things.  Here is what happens:

1 ) I right click an album and tell MC to send to Handheld
2 ) I go to upload options and check Force File Conversion with an external Lame encoder (-preset fast standard).
3 ) I upload the files and watch the decode/encode dialog bars.  (BTW, It also converts regular files that are 128 kb MP3s, which is odd)
4 ) I check the file listing for my handheld in MC and the songs are listed.
5 ) I right click on my ipod in MC and "eject drive"
6 ) I wait for the "ok to disconnect" and detach the firewire cable
7 ) The songs are NOT LISTED on my ipod.
8 ) I reconnect and check MC handheld listing and the songs ARE LISTED.
9 ) I then delete the songs from my ipod and try again with the same results, and with various songs.

I have also tried this with syncing, but it will not force convert.  I sent the APE files to a playlist and then tried syncing the playlist (with the upload option to convert previously checked).  When it syncs, it just tries to send the APE files without converting them and returns an error.

I am running IPOD plugin version 9.0.12 and the following system setup:

Media Center Registered 9.0.146 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1467 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 298 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: YAMAHA   CRW3200E           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with *Force Conversion* When Uploadin
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 12:52:34 pm »

Warlock,

I cannot duplicate this. When you send your album, what file types and bitrates are you sending and what do you have the converter set to do?

In my test, I sent an album of .ape files and mp3's encoded at 128 kbps to the iPod. I set the conversion to mp3 at 128 and then watched as the converter skipped the .mp3 files and converted the .ape. Everything then transferred to the iPod with no problem.

Steve

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 08:26:26 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for looking into this.  Good news.  I reformated my ipod and then uploaded some of the APE files.  It did the conversion fine and the songs showed up on my ipod.  However, it still didn't catch the need to convert the APE files when I tried a regular sync.  It seems to only convert if I upload rather than sync.   Is that just the way MC is set up?  

Tomorrow I will run some tests with files of various mp3 bitrates along with the APE files to see if it is still unnecessarily converting the mp3 files.  Thanks again for your help.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 11:43:52 am »

Warlock,

Thanks for the update. Currently synching is not set up to do conversions.  Would you see this as a huge plus?

Steve

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 12:07:51 pm »

Steve, I would definitely see it as a big plus.  Right now, I have to keep my ape files in separate play/smart lists (I am just starting to learn how to use the new views) so that when I sync those lists, I don't get back an error because the IPOD can't play ape files.  I have to upload the APEs separately.  In a sense, that means I can't really "sync" because if I choose the option to delete files not in my sync list, the converted ape files get the boot.  

This is becoming more of an issue for me because I am starting to see the advantage of going with a lossless encoder and then just converting to mp3s for portable use.  I've been following that thread on "parallel processes for ape and mp3s" with a lot of interest.  It just seems grossly duplicative to keep a full set of both.  Perhaps someday the IPOD will play APEs or FLAC files (probably more likely to be FLAC because of the reduced processor load when decoding), but until then I am stuck.

Let me just add that you guys are doing a fantastic job with MC9.  I don't think there is any doubt that this is the very best windows software for managing files on an IPOD.  Screw MusicMatch, Apple should be licensing from J River!

-ps Any chance there is enough interest in having a FLAC plugin for MC9?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 01:01:14 pm »

Warlock,

Thanks for the response and for the kudos. You make a good case for the conversion on synch. I will try to get it added as soon as I can.

In regards to FLAC, I will bring it up here next week.

Steve

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 08:37:33 pm »

Steve, there is another feature that is available when uploading, but it is not available (or at least I  haven't found it) when doing a sync: the ability to see how much space is left on the IPOD.  It would be nice to be able to see a running total of how much space is consumed/available as you check and uncheck various playlists for syncing.  Another suggestion might be to have a right click option for handhelds that lists space available.  

I know you guys are busy getting ready for release, so feel free to ignore my suggestions if they don't make sense.   :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up