INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit playlists and rearranging sequence of Now Playing  (Read 1158 times)

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
Edit playlists and rearranging sequence of Now Playing
« on: October 24, 2020, 01:18:55 am »

I am holding off on getting a new Mac until Apple gives a glimpse of their new machines running their own processors. I am hoping JRiver will get MediaCenter ready to run natively on those, and have inquired about any progress on that in another post.

In meantime I have migrated my entire library to Linux and just now I was reminded - and am surprised that this is still the case after all these years / versions of MediaCenter - that we cannot edit track sequence in playlists nor in Playing Now. Am I missing something, or is it true that this functionality is still lacking? If so, is it still being worked on and is there any chance it's going to happen soon? I was thinking of keeping my library under Linux for a good while (maybe not even getting a Mac in near future depending on what's on offer soon from Apple) but I can't use a music library manager where I can't even alter playlists or my current playback order. I do have the universal license, for Mac and Linux use, and I keep paying for every update, and this is one feature missing from the Linux version (unless it's hiding somehow) that I find most essential.

Thanks

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Edit playlists and rearranging sequence of Now Playing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:37:00 am »

I can change the order in both the Playing Now list, or in an existing playlist the same way. Just click on the track in the list and drag it around to a different spot. Unless this is a windows only function - which I am running? Or of course Shuffle play  :)
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:05:43 am »

I am holding off on getting a new Mac until Apple gives a glimpse of their new machines running their own processors. I am hoping JRiver will get MediaCenter ready to run natively on those, and have inquired about any progress on that in another post.

In meantime I have migrated my entire library to Linux and just now I was reminded - and am surprised that this is still the case after all these years / versions of MediaCenter - that we cannot edit track sequence in playlists nor in Playing Now. Am I missing something, or is it true that this functionality is still lacking? If so, is it still being worked on and is there any chance it's going to happen soon? I was thinking of keeping my library under Linux for a good while (maybe not even getting a Mac in near future depending on what's on offer soon from Apple) but I can't use a music library manager where I can't even alter playlists or my current playback order. I do have the universal license, for Mac and Linux use, and I keep paying for every update, and this is one feature missing from the Linux version (unless it's hiding somehow) that I find most essential.

Thanks

There are "move up" and "move down" buttons in the playlist editor to rearrange tracks, but drag and drop still isn't implemented. There's no similar function in playing now to my knowledge, but bob said he was working on it this cycle.

I can change the order in both the Playing Now list, or in an existing playlist the same way. Just click on the track in the list and drag it around to a different spot. Unless this is a windows only function - which I am running? Or of course Shuffle play  :)

It is a windows/mac only function right now.  Drag and drop is one of the last missing pieces on Linux.

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »

There are "move up" and "move down" buttons in the playlist editor…
Thanks! I thought there was a move up and down feature somewhere, and I right-clicked and got nothin' but then I realized later I had to really open the width of my playlist tab to see that they appear as buttons at far right on top. The functionality is limited, but it's better than nothing. Every free player I've ever used on any platform allows easy rearranging and dragging and dropping so I am guessing this ongoing lack must somehow be tied to MediaCenter being written for Windows and then modified to run on Linux or macOS. I have the universal license but unfortunately the operating system that runs this program best is the one I won't use as my daily os, for various reasons. It is nice that the Linux version has the visualizer feature that the macOS version lacks, but this is so much more essential and I do hope it's added. Currently I find myself making playlists in some free program and then importing them into JRiver.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 12:46:19 pm »

Thanks! I thought there was a move up and down feature somewhere, and I right-clicked and got nothin' but then I realized later I had to really open the width of my playlist tab to see that they appear as buttons at far right on top. The functionality is limited, but it's better than nothing. Every free player I've ever used on any platform allows easy rearranging and dragging and dropping so I am guessing this ongoing lack must somehow be tied to MediaCenter being written for Windows and then modified to run on Linux or macOS. I have the universal license but unfortunately the operating system that runs this program best is the one I won't use as my daily os, for various reasons. It is nice that the Linux version has the visualizer feature that the macOS version lacks, but this is so much more essential and I do hope it's added. Currently I find myself making playlists in some free program and then importing them into JRiver.
While this is being worked on, note that you can select groups of files not just a single file to use with the move up/down buttons.

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 01:11:39 am »

While this is being worked on, note that you can select groups of files not just a single file to use with the move up/down buttons.
Thanks Bob. I have noticed I can select groups - either ones that are currently in sequence together by holding Shift key, or ones that are not currently sequenced together by holding Control key - and then they all move, getting grouped together in sequence regardless, by using the move up or move down buttons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up