INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to change defaults in Smart playlist?  (Read 1131 times)

Craig Shipley

• Recent member
Any way to change defaults in Smart playlist?
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:58:09 pm »

Brand new user here, so forgive me if this is covered somewhere.

When I create a Smart Playlist, I would like to change the default Rule to be something other than the default "Media Type" (in my case, I would like it to be Artist). Is there a way that I can change this that I'm overlooking? Thanks and more dumb questions to follow.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any way to change defaults in Smart playlist?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:09:57 pm »

Have you been to the wiki yet?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists

Craig Shipley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:14:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i went there first and I do not see a way that I can change the default under "Rules" to default to something other than "Media Type". I would like to just hit F9 and when the SP box opens, the default is "Artist" as that is how i build most of my playlists. If it is not possible, OK, but it seems that as highly customizable as this player is, this should be a selectable variable.

wer

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:39:15 pm »

Is there a way that I can change this that I'm overlooking?

No. You can edit the smartlist all you like, but you can't modify the default behavior for the editing dialog box itself.

You could however create a smartlist (as a template), with whatever default rules you want, and then COPY this smartlist (via drag and drop) instead of creating a new one.  This would save you the torture of looking at the media type rule.

Each time you want a new smartlist, copy the template, edit the copy, and you will see whatever "default" rules you left in the template.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 04:17:49 am »

When you first create a New Smartlist the first thing you see is the Edit Smartlist window and it will probably have "Media Type is Audio" as the 1st rule but if you want your 1st Rule to be different, i.e. Artist, all you have to do is click on the down arrow at the end of the 1st box and scroll up or down the list of DB/Tag Names and select the one you want and then fill in the other boxes.

Alternatively you could click on the X button at the end of that 1st Rule, which will delete it, and then click on the Add New Rule Button

Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 06:57:42 pm »

Each time you want a new smartlist, copy the template, edit the copy, and you will see whatever "default" rules you left in the template.

I will note: This is how I make effectively ALL new Smartlists and Views. I drag-drop > copy an existing one (I have some "template" Smartlists and Views, but I often just use another that I want to make a "variation" of with similar rules).

I'll also note: I've discovered recently that drag-dropping in the Tree isn't working right on the Mac version of MC. But I'll post about that elsewhere.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 07:54:30 pm »

I'll also note: I've discovered recently that drag-dropping in the Tree isn't working right on the Mac version of MC. But I'll post about that elsewhere.

Well since this is the Windows board, I still get credit for providing the right solution!  ;D

But a stupid question for you glynor: if Mac's drag and drop is broken, and if you have no right-click button, are you still able to copy/paste a playlist at all, via keyboard shortcut or the edit menu? Hopefully yes.  Drag and drop is how I always do it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 09:16:31 pm »

and if you have no right-click button, are you still able to copy/paste a playlist at all,

Well, I certainly have a right-click button because I'm not an animal (and all Macs have right-click functionality in the trackpad or magic mouse, if you use that, by default now, and always have had it, if you used a non-braindead mouse). But, right-click doesn't help, because there's no Copy/Paste commands there on Views, which is what I was mucking about with, or Playlists.

I couldn't figure it out, and resorted to setting it up on Windows and restoring the Library back to the Mac. The Edit > Copy menu might have worked, or may have just copied the "file set" in the active View. I didn't try.

wer

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 09:46:28 pm »

Well, I certainly have a right-click button because I'm not an animal

Not that _I_ ever thought that, of course!  Although considering what you're doing in your photo, confusion on the part of some might be understandable...  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:08 pm »

Well, I mean, I use utensils to cook it.*

* Salt and pepper heavily. Grill at 400. Four minutes total. Flip each minute to get the good grill marks. Let sit for two minutes. Down the hatch. Except, rib eye, not top sirloin. Though, I must say, overall Dan is more right than wrong.

wer

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 11:27:00 pm »

So you say... 

But again, the photographic evidence does not seem to support you doing any cooking before consumption.

But if you were to actually try cooking it, I would heartily recommend supplementing your salt and pepper by also rubbing liberally with garlic and Ancho chili powder.  Then you really have something.  Try it!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 11:33:40 pm »

by also rubbing liberally with garlic and Ancho chili powder.

Oh, agreed:D

(A little grilled onion garnish with, maybe, a light sprinkle of blue crumble if you're in the mood, never hurt no one neither.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up