INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion to make 'in the moment' ripping options more readily accessible  (Read 756 times)

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Encoding. This was where I expected and would like to find all options related to ripping. I'd prefer that, like Media Monkey, when I'm setting up a rip I can choose to click on a drop-down that easily allows me to vary any of my choices from previously set options if I wish - File destination, codec, rip quality, filename etc.

Having pre-set options I have chosen that are ok most of the time is helpful; having a simpler way to change them temporarily would be even better. This would also reduce the chance of having to search for a ripped file, because the destination was 'temporarily' changed in the tools>options>file location section sometime in the past, but not changed back to the destination usually used. A simple way to make temporary changes is much better for the humanly forgetful, whether occasional or chronic ;D

(Is there is an actual suggestions/wishlist thread? One didn't show up when I did a search.)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestion to make 'in the moment' ripping options more readily accessible
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 04:57:02 am »

To me, it would make more sense for all CD Ripping settings to be in the "CD, DVD & DB" section of MC Options. We are all different I guess.

But it doesn't really matter where they are, because all I have to do is click the "Options" link in the Action Window after selected "Rip Disc" and all sections of the MC Options related to ripping are shown there, by themselves. There are actually three sections in Options which relate to CD Ripping, "CD, DVD & DB", "Encoding" and "File Location". See the attached image.

I always check the options before starting a CD Ripping session, to make sure they are all as I wish. Using the "Options" link in the Action Window is the obvious way to do that, for all related settings.

BTW, if you can't find any newly ripped files because that file location was changed, no need to search. Just open the "Recently Imported" Smartlist and they will be there. Then you can do as you wish with them, such as move them to a final location, directly from that Smartlist.

PS: Media Center doesn't need to copy any other software functionality. It does things that way it does things. Why would JRiver copy how some other application, such as Media Monkey, works? MC just has a bit of a learning curve to work out how to use it most efficiently, just like any other software.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestion to make 'in the moment' ripping options more readily accessible
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 10:06:14 am »

I think it is not intuitive at all to find a setting related to the location of files under "Encoding".

I think it is perfectly reasonable to find such a setting under "File Location".

As for "I should find it under Encoding because I'm ripping" is no different from saying "I should find it under Audio because I'm playing sound."

It's also worth mentioning the MC Options dialog has a search box...
Pages: [1]   Go Up