INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 27 with RHEL 8.2  (Read 962 times)

steve55901

MC 27 with RHEL 8.2
« on: November 04, 2020, 06:39:07 am »

Hi,
I have a licensed copy of JRiver MC27 running on RHEL 8.2 - and also on Fedora 32/33
Ideally I would like to get MC 27 running in steady state on RHEL 8.2
For RHEL 8.2, I installed the using RPM with MediaCenter-27.0.21.x86_64.rpm downloaded directly from Bryan C's Repo.
The Audio portion has been working flawlessly. The piece that I have been scratching my head over is the Video.
I setup Auto-Import and have the 'Build Thumbnails' box checked and MC scans thru the files (MP4s and some .m2ts), but
they never appear in the view - it's always no-op as far as the auto-import goes.

For what it's worth - in RHEL 8.2, I have a licensed copy of Fluendo 22 installed along with the Gstreamer add-ins available in the Application Installer (with EPEL enabled)
I have some MP4s imported from a Go-Pro that I am in turn trying to import into MC27 and RHEL renders the thumbnails for the MP$s and they they play fine w/ audio when viewed thru GNOME Nautilus.
I have also played around with MC27 on Fedora 32 (and more recently Fedora 33) an used Bryan's JRMCInstall (vs. installing via RPM w/ RHEL) and
in both versions of Fedora the same video files I am trying to import into RHEL 8.2 import fine / render thumbnails and play fine in MC 27.
Trying to figure out what i am missing in RHEL 8.2 that would enable the video capability in MC27?

Also, on a sidenote - may or may not be related, but I also get the "Web page viewing is not yet supported on this platform" gray screen when launching MC 27 in RHEL 8.2.
I have tried using the Firebox as the system default and also Chromium from the EPEL with same results.

Thanks in advance!!!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 27 with RHEL 8.2
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:32:36 pm »

You should look in MC's plugins directory.
~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 27/Plugins
to see if anything is there.
If not you may have to use the included alternate certificate file in /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 27
Check the symlink there.
If there IS stuff in the Plugins dir then do into the avcodec and chromium directories there and do an ldd on the library files (.so) and see if they are missing anything (you'll see a not found error).

steve55901

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:46:02 am »

Thanks for the fast reply.
In this case both the avcodec and chromium directories in the Plugins are completely empty (definitely no .so files)
Not sure how to get the needed .so files and any dependencies installed in the case of RHEL 8.2....

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:29 pm »

Thanks for the fast reply.
In this case both the avcodec and chromium directories in the Plugins are completely empty (definitely no .so files)
Not sure how to get the needed .so files and any dependencies installed in the case of RHEL 8.2....
Did you try changing the certificate path?
From a terminal:
sudo rm /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 27/ca-certificates.crt
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 27/local-ca-certificates.crt /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 27/ca-certificates.crt

If you don't do that and your local certificate store isn't in the debian default location MC won't be able to download the plugins.

steve55901

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 03:56:52 pm »

Thanks Bob! - the symlink fixed up the "Web page viewing is not yet supported on this platform" and also populated the avcodec and chromium subdirs in Plugins with the .so files you mentioned.
I ran the ldd against the .so files in both linux_avcodec64 and linux_chromium64
The ldd for the .so files in linux_chromium64 all ran clean.
When I ran the ldd command against the .so files in linux_avcode64 (6 total) many dependencies were called out - I found they were all ffmpeg modules.
So, I went ahead and installed ffmpeg on this RHEL 8.2 machine from RPM Fusion, then ran the auto-import again and all is working like a charm in MC27 for mp4s, .m2ts Video files etc etc (in addition to the .aiff audio files etc that were working before)
Thanks so much for your help!!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:17:30 am »

Thanks Bob! - the symlink fixed up the "Web page viewing is not yet supported on this platform" and also populated the avcodec and chromium subdirs in Plugins with the .so files you mentioned.
I ran the ldd against the .so files in both linux_avcodec64 and linux_chromium64
The ldd for the .so files in linux_chromium64 all ran clean.
When I ran the ldd command against the .so files in linux_avcode64 (6 total) many dependencies were called out - I found they were all ffmpeg modules.
So, I went ahead and installed ffmpeg on this RHEL 8.2 machine from RPM Fusion, then ran the auto-import again and all is working like a charm in MC27 for mp4s, .m2ts Video files etc etc (in addition to the .aiff audio files etc that were working before)
Thanks so much for your help!!
Thanks for the report back good you hear you got it going.
MC doesn't use the system ffmpeg but doing that might have installed something libav neded.

steve55901

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 10:06:50 am »

Thanks for the update and info re. ffmpeg - a little further unsolicited feedback, here's the list of .so files that flagged missing object dependencies when I ran ldd on the .so files in ~/.jriver/Media Center 27/Plugins/linux_avcodec64 on this RHEL 8.2 machine with the EPEL enabled.

libavcodec-jr.so.58
libswresample-jr.so.3 => not found
libavutil-jr.so.56 => not found

libavfilter-jr.so.7
libswscale-jr.so.5 => not found

libswresample-jr.so.3

libswscale-jr.so.5

I see now ffmpeg was a wholesale approach, but all working, so all good   :-)
Thanks again!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 10:22:38 am »

ldd does not look for libraries in the same path as the one you are querying by default, so it not finding its own brothers and sisters is not a surprise. We fix that when we load them.
Those libraries should otherwise have very few external dependencies, the only meaningful one being libva2 (libva.so.1), as far as I remember.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up