INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modify media sub type in tag section  (Read 981 times)

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
Modify media sub type in tag section
« on: November 04, 2020, 06:41:39 am »

Hello

is it possible to modify the default fields of a specific media sub type?

for example i like how the Movie media sub type general tag looks with all the fields there but i dont like that this sub type changes the movie thumbnail to vertical.

can i do like "other" media subtype but when i tag the file i will see specific fields in the general tag area. right now i need to scroll down to rating and scroll back up to keywords and scroll for name...   each file im tagging

i hope i explained myself good enough.

thank you

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Modify media sub type in tag section
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 06:50:50 am »

ok i found how to modify the default general tag section

now the only thing is how to change the thumbnail from vertical to horizonal and to assign it to media sub type?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:23:46 pm »

I don't believe there is a way to do that. MC handles TV and Movie Media Sub Type thumbnails specially in views, and they're presented "portrait-style" (like a Keep Case). Other videos (which are, generally, thumbnails pulled from 16:9 content, is the theory) are presented landscape-style.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:41:00 am »

now the only thing is how to change the thumbnail from vertical to horizonal and to assign it to media sub type?

You can't. Portrait orientation is the industry standard for movie posters.

You can change the media sub-type to something else, or you can learn to live with it.

I suggest the latter, because if you ever want to download poster images from themoviedb or other sites, they will be portrait.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 04:12:25 am »

Ok thanks

is there an option to edit the names of the sub media? or to creat my own sub media?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:05:32 pm »

Yes, absolutely. You cannot modify the built-in [Media Sub Type] field, or add any new values to the list, but you can define your own field which behaves similarly to it. And then use that field instead to sub-categorize your media (but with the just the values you want it to include). You don't have to "use" the built in fields at all, other than to set [Media Type] and [Media Sub Type] such that it displays and handles your files the way you desire.

This article explains that in great detail:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields

Then, you can define your Library Views to use those custom fields. You can modify all of the existing Views in Standard, Theater, and Media Network (JRemote/Panel) modes, remove any of the presets, and customize them to your heart's content.

wer

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 11:42:22 pm »

Everything Glynor said is true.  But if you do that, you will find that all of your posters/thumbnails are exclusively in landscape format (which perhaps you think is good). The portrait orientation is hard coded for the Movie Media Sub-type, I believe.  Isn't that correct Glynor?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 12:48:18 am »

That's correct, but you can just set [Media Sub Type] as you need to in MC to get them to display Landscape or Portrait depending on what kind of cover art they have most predominantly.

If you're not actually using the [Media Sub Type] field for grouping, because you've made your own "category type field" you can just set it how you need to to get the behavior you want, and then ignore it. If you want them handled like MC handles Movies or TV Shows (or Other), set it to whatever works for those files. If you need to do this automatically, you can use a Tag on Import rule.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:14:29 am »

Thank to both of you

I know how to create a new field what i dont understand is how i can make it a media sub of my own so i can choose it when i need to assign a media sub type. i understood regarding the thumbnail and ill just use movies sub cat for bluray movies only and not for my camera movies.

as glynor said "you've made your own "category type field" you can just set it how you need to to get the behavior you want, and then ignore it."   i dont know how to make a category field of my own, and didnt understand the ignore thing
can you please explain?

the only way i know is to make my own view and set the rules for file display to specific field or keyword.

Thanks in advanced

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 08:25:01 am »

It is in the Library Fields article I linked to above.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 08:55:54 am »

Well i read all the article twice and still caouldnt understand how to do that.

I found the option to add a template and gave it a name "camera videos" but i dont know what to put in the search field

and then it asks for a group and group name but when i input group and try to give it a name it wont save it

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 09:13:20 am »

Oh. I think I fundamentally misunderstood what you were trying to do. You're trying to modify the Tag Action Window template so that different Fields show up (in different orders and whatnot) in the Action Window when you pick a particular [Media Sub Type]?

That is definitely possible, though I've found the controls to be fiddly.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:34 am »

No you understood correctly first time.

i already know how to add or move diff fields in diff media sub types

i just dont know how to add a subtype of my own and to add fields to it and then add it in tag action window

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:13 am »

The Tag AW templates are applied when they match a Search pattern you define in the Template. You can search for anything you want, including your own custom fields. To access this for the currently selected template, choose Edit Template from the Manage context menu.

So, the reason the "Movie" template gets applied to the Tag AW when you select a file that has [Media Sub Type]=Movie is because the Movie template looks like:

Note that the templates are applied in order from "top to bottom" and if one matches, it stops looking. So, if you want to apply a template that when (for example) [Media Sub Type] is Movie and [My Custom Field] is "My Value" then you'd need to make a new template with the search:
[Media Sub Type]=[Movie] [My Custom Field]=[My Value]

And then make sure it is listed ABOVE the normal Movie template in the order (so that it gets triggered before the regular Movie one). You can move the templates up and down in the order with the relevant options under the Manage button.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 12:43:54 pm »

Ok im getting there :)

I understand what you suggesting but i dont understand why i need the media sub movie in my search?

I don't want to use the movie sub media, i want to create some of my own which has a template that i choose the fields.

Maybe its not possible? for example: i have my family vids from my camera and i want to choose "sub media" of "family" which has its own template with the field i choose.

I'm sorry if im not explaining myself better

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 01:11:04 pm »

I understand what you suggesting but i dont understand why i need the media sub movie in my search?

You don't. I just included that in the search as an example. You could do just [My Custom Field]=[My Value] and then it would match any file with that value in your custom field.

If your search is "higher in order" (closer to the top) and the file matches the search, then that is the template the Tag AW will use. The search can be any valid search in MC using the Search Language. You can create it in the Search Wizard.

Note that all files imported will get a [Media Sub Type] assigned at import based on what Carnac "thinks" they are. So, to do this, you'll need your Template to be higher than those in the list that DO include Media Sub Type in the search, or else it'll never trigger (because they'll be considered "movies" or whatever automatically).

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 01:28:26 pm »

Thank you very much glynor!

I finally managed to create my own field which is "file category" that how i name it :)

and then a list of categories of my own under the "file category" so when i choose a file and open the tag AW i can click
the "file category" field and then choose what i want.

now what i still don't know how to achieve is what you said regarding the way to trick mc to choose the template i created.
i think that it will  still choose movie template for most video files. and how to i get my template to be higher in the template list.

my apologies for all the questions :)

wer

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 02:06:13 pm »

Templates are evaluated in the order they are found, as it says in the screenshot.  Click the Manage button to be able to change the order. Move your template to the top of the order, and it will supersede built-in templates if it matches.

Alternatively, customization is much simpler if you just use the old-style tag window. Hold SHIFT while opening the tag window to switch between types.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 03:23:04 pm »

Thank you glynor and wer

I finally did it , everything works as i wanted! i moved my custom preset to top and edited its search criteria and now

everything i imports uses this preset if it matches the search criteria.

also i managed to do my own  sub media list which i sort by it.

I still have not figured it how to assign behaviors to each of the fields in that list though so i choose sub media from my list , but maybe its not even possible (only the built in media subs has their behaviors).

Thanks again for all the help

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 12:12:29 am »

I still have not figured it how to assign behaviors to each of the fields in that list though so i choose sub media from my list, but maybe its not even possible (only the built in media subs has their behaviors).

Yeah. That's not possible. Only the built-in Media Sub Types have special behaviors like that. In fact, that is why you can't modify the Media Sub Types list, because otherwise you could crash the program by removing "Movie" and then trying to import one (or run Auto-Metadata Lookup on one).

Pages: [1]   Go Up