INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with import  (Read 573 times)

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem with import
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:26:55 pm »

Hi

i have a problem when i importing files jriver is not taking the date created like i see in windows explorer. its not in all files but lots of files are with wrong date created even though in windows explorer i see the correct date created.

so when i try to sort by date created its a mess (i see dates from the year 2037 for example). i saw a post which explains how to use expressions for fixing date imported and i would appreciate some help here with the date created.

im referring for the date and time i created the file in windows explorer like when i copied it to my hard drive (not the actual filming time)

please help me sort this out

Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with import
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 01:17:29 pm »

I don't think I have seen MC get the [Date Created] field wrong when importing a file. I guess it is possible though.

Check that your Date Created is actually correct on the files with problems in Windows Explorer before trying a fix. Make sure you aren't looking at the Date Modified in Windows, or one of the other dates.

As Date Created is a system date set and maintained by Windows, you can't edit it in MC. If it appears that MC has the incorrect [Date Created] for some files, confirm they are correct in Windows, and then you could try to fix them in MC by selecting the problem files, right-clicking on them, and selecting "Update Library (from tags)". Of course, that will update all tags from the files, so you might lose some field edits in MC. So be sure that is what you want to do. Or perhaps even better, run the "Update tags (from Library)" function first so that the MC values are written to the files, and then "Update Library (from tags)". MC won't update the file's Date Created, so the value in the file itself should remain. Running both processes should fix an incorrect [Date Created] field value in MC.

But before I did anything like the above, I would want to be very sure that the files actually had the correct Date Created in Windows. It is more likely that some other application has changed the Date Created, and MC has just picked up the new date. A file backup or synchronisation program may change the Date Created and cause this issue, for example.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:46 pm »

Thanks for the reply

i did check the date in windows explorer and there the date created is the correct one

what i found out is that mc sometimes takes the "media created" field and not the "date created" from windows when i checked the details properties in the files and sometimes it puts the date created from windows in mc "date" tag and not date created tag. also there are lots of times where there is no date created field at all in mc , only other dates fields.

i cant figure that out , it suppose to be simple take the date created from the file and put it in date created in mc field.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »

it seems that its only getting it wrong where there is "media created" field in windows file properties.

somehow mc taking the "media created" field instead of the "date created" from windows file propeties.

any idea on how tell mc to ignore the "media created" field?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 03:57:16 pm »

I haven't had to deal with the "Media Created" tag, so can't add much. It doesn't get a mention in the Release Notes all the way back to version 11.0, so the functionality must be old, or just not documented.

The only post I found about it was https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116115.0.html It seems to be deliberate functionality.

I would guess that you will need to update or delete the "Media Created" tag in the file, and then run "Update Library (from tags)" function. There used to be utilities that could update file dates that are normally locked. I guess Google for such tools.

I don't think you can get MC to ignore the "Media Created" tag. That functionality would be hardcoded into MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 04:57:35 pm »

thanks for the reference

"The media created tag in a movie file is imported into a tag called date created in MC" - thats exactly the opposite from what i need. i need mc not to do that cause the "media created" is the original creation of the movie not the creation in my hard drive and windows system. also i don't want to delete it cause i do want to know when the movie was taken.

that is really strange i only want to be able to sort according to when i created the files in my hard drive. mc is such a powerful tool but such a simple task i cannot do. im like half a day searching for a sullotion geez

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 06:00:35 pm »

It would have caught me out as well, but I don't sort on the [Date Created] field.

Unfortunately as far as I know none of the hardcoded rules that MC uses around dates are exposed to users, so you can't stop that behaviour. Maybe someone else knows.

You may be able to fix the date using a third-party tool like MCUtils or "Swag of Tools". Search the forum for them if you wish to try. But it is a bit of work. You should be able to use the same methods others have used for [Date Imported] in the past.

See
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,102906.msg714728.html#msg714728
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,71717.msg484790.html#msg484790
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125097.msg866603.html#msg866603
As a side note, I believe that you can update the [Date Imported] field using the "Data Fiddler" component of the "Swag of Tools" utilities.

davidperetz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 01:54:58 am »

i will take a look of those links

thanks for trying to help

if someone else have an idea on how to get the correct date created from windows explorer and not the media creation field

i will appreciate hearing

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up