INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: build specs for a PC?  (Read 1857 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
build specs for a PC?
« on: November 09, 2020, 01:44:55 pm »

Hi all. I am about to move into a new place and am going to redo all of my video entertainment options and the heart of it would be a new PC. I have not bought – much less built – a Windows PC since 2007. I am looking forward to moving to a large city where I can get good HD OTA. I'll put on a Blu-ray drive for the few discs I own. Finally, I've been getting back into gaming so I also will be using the PC to play games on Steam.

So I am looking for guides/specs/etc on what I would need to handle all of this. I know I'll need the tuner and MC and the HDHomeRun stuff gets along well, so that's an easy choice. Buying an antenna is also easy. Blu-ray drives for movies are pretty much all the same now. so, questions:

1. I have a 6TB external HD I'll use for games and DVR recording. Is USB-C fast enough for this? I will get an SSD for my system drive.
2. Does there need to be any kind of matching-up of TV tuner device and video card?
3. Am I correct in assuming that a video card good enough to run games on Steam (my favorite game type being racing, which has pretty high requirements) will be good enough for any TV needs?
4. I think I'll have to put the HD antenna pretty far from my receiver. Is there any worthwhile wireless HD solution?

I think that's all I have question-wise... Thanks in advance.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: build specs for a PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 05:51:58 pm »

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Not sure.  If you go with Silicondust's HDHomeRun, it can be set up anywhere on your lan.  As long as your antenna is close to an ethernet port it should be good.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 06:48:27 pm »

Wow, thanks for the great succinct answers. :) I didn't know the tuner didn't need to be directly attached to the PC (guess I should've read more). That's fantastic. Thanks!

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:28:57 am »

I haven't looked at bluray drives in a while but when it comes to ripping UHD discs they aren't all the same. If ripping UHD's isn't your thing then it won't matter. If you do plan on ripping them then you'll need specific drives with specific firmware.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:29:44 pm »

Yeah, I don't see myself ripping discs really. The only ones I have are in box sets and then it's kind of a ceremony to play them.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up