INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Format icon on album art  (Read 527 times)

GrahamG

• Recent member
Format icon on album art
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:44:32 am »

Hi all.
First timer here so be gentle. ;)
I've been a JRiver fan for some time. I also use Audirvana, and tried Roon. Generally though JRiver is my go-to.
It seems to tick pretty much all boxes in terms of flexibility and (importantly) sound quality.
There is one feature I've always wanted - an icon in the corner of the album art indicating the format of the album files. I'm sure I'm not alone in having multiple formats of the same album (FLAC, DSD, WAV (for DTS CDs), yes even MP3 ;) ). Roon does this and does it very nicely (though not nicely enough to warrant the cost imho). It even distinguishes between 44.1/16 FLAC  (where the icon indicates "CD") and HiRes FLAC (where if my memory serves me right it puts the bitrate eg "96/24"). In Roon the icon is optional, with a setting to control. JRiver, being the amazing settings-fest it is could perhaps even go one better? Maybe selecting where the icon is positioned? ;)
Either way this would be a fantastic addition imho. And would save me having to put the album format in the album title, as I tend to do now.
Anyway, ramble over. Keep up the great work. And thanks for reading! :)

PS advance apols if I've put this "feature request" in the wrong area!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Format icon on album art
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:41:49 am »

You may know that you can search for MP3 or FLAC, for example, and see just those files.

You can also use Stacks to combine them a set.

If you hover the mouse over a file, a tooltip will give you more information.   

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:15:29 am »

That is a nice feature and it would be a nice addition to MC. Without it, I have added a line to my standard view thumbnail text which only shows for non-CD formats.  I maintain a separate custom field with values like CD, HiRes, MP3, DVD-A, DSD, Vinyl and show that in the thumbnail text. It is the last line in my thumbnail text and is blank for CDs, which is my most common format.  The field is set on import. To make sure it is filled in, I have a Smartlist which displays any tracks without a value in that field.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:57:00 am »

I maintain a separate custom field with values like CD, HiRes, MP3, DVD-A, DSD, Vinyl and show that in the thumbnail text.
Same here but expanded to distinguish sub-categories of stereo and multichannel.  Having a little icon (a la Roon) would be greatly appreciated on a continuing basis!
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:46:59 am »

You may know that you can search for MP3 or FLAC, for example, and see just those files.

You can also use Stacks to combine them a set.

If you hover the mouse over a file, a tooltip will give you more information.

Thanks Jim, I quite like seeing all versions of an album I have at once. Hence why the icon would be such a useful addition.
I attach a pic of what it looks like in Roon.

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:50:23 am »

That is a nice feature and it would be a nice addition to MC. Without it, I have added a line to my standard view thumbnail text which only shows for non-CD formats.  I maintain a separate custom field with values like CD, HiRes, MP3, DVD-A, DSD, Vinyl and show that in the thumbnail text. It is the last line in my thumbnail text and is blank for CDs, which is my most common format.  The field is set on import. To make sure it is filled in, I have a Smartlist which displays any tracks without a value in that field.
Interesting idea dtc. I do similar in the album title. Though it does admittedly start to become crowded at times :)
I do hope this feature request is considered. It would be so useful.

tonysawford

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

This is a good idea - I'd buy it  :)

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:25:07 am »

Same here but expanded to distinguish sub-categories of stereo and multichannel.  Having a little icon (a la Roon) would be greatly appreciated on a continuing basis!

That's great kr4. Yes it's ideal the way it also indicates multichannel too. I'd love a feature like this in JRiver MC. It makes perusing the album variants so much easier and enjoyable.

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:17 am »

This is a good idea - I'd buy it  :)

Yup I'd be all over any future version of MC that implemented this. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up