INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What global speaker Bass management software are you using?  (Read 1867 times)

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
What global speaker Bass management software are you using?
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:45:34 pm »

I was using the realtek regedit trick to set my laptops crossover to 115hz.
Never heard of it?, please read on, link is below.
My speakers are the uFi UCube speakers and subwoofer.
The subwoofer has a 115hz crossover but the speakers don't, so by setting the realtek crossover to 115hz, the speakers get everything above that and the subwoofer everything below that.
The speakers sounded better by not having to play the lower bass they can't and it was a global setting that covered everything I play on my laptop.
The default setting on realtek is 60hz when you set your speakers to NOT full range which is way too low for mine.
You can adjust it using this method:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?f=59663

I just had my HDD upgraded to a SSD and the window had to be changed too.
Now, the soundcard software on it is default windows, NOT realtek.
So I can't use the realtek crossvoer setting I was previously.
I have looked on the windows regedit but can't find an equivalent setting.
The full range and not full range setting still shows in my audio settings, so the windows crossover must be there somewhere.
For now I'm using the JRiver MC26 110hz crossover so that it removes all bass below that to my speakers and they sound better.
Problem is it's not global, so it only affects things I play through MC26.
If I play spotify or anything else, they play full range and don't sound as good.
I'm using the Equalizer APO for my global EQ and it has crossover settings, but it's just a high or low pass filter.
You lose everything above or below whatever frequency you choose.
Does anyone have a global EQ or crossover setting or software program that allows for adjustable crossover settings?
Perhaps someone better at regedit knows where the windows not full range speaker setting is to adjust the crossover.
Thanks for reading. Perhaps people using realtek can make use of the method I used to.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: What global speaker Bass management software are you using?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 02:09:26 pm »

Use JRiver for bass management and setup JRiver's WDM driver to route all audio through it.

WDM Driver

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 05:53:26 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.
The global Equalizer APO I use is 31 bands and much more precise than JRiver so I prefer to use that.
It doesn't work when routing everything through MC.

I'm going to keep looking in the windows regedit for the audio crossover setting.
I might switch drivers to realtek, that worked the best.
I got the global 115Hz crossover and I could use Equalizer APO.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:20:28 pm »

When I remove the windows drivers and try to use the old realtek ones from the acer site, it doesn't work. I get a message that says the latest drivers are already installed. When I uninstall the windows ones, and restart the pc, it ignores the downloaded realtek ones and just installs the windows ones. Perhaps it's impossible to re-install the realtek drivers again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 07:43:24 am »

Did you try going to Realtek to get a driver?  Try a Google search.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 03:56:31 pm »

The realtek drivers wouldn't load on my laptop. Every time I uninstalled the new windows drivers, they were reinstalled on restart. Even if I tried to choose the realtek ones, it said the best drivers were already loaded. So I assume it's impossible or only for someone very advanced in computer knowledge, which I am not.

It doesn't matter now though since I got help on the sourceforge forums and successfully created a 115hz high pass filter on the free equalizer APO software.
It's command based, so I didn't know how to write the command until explained.

I now have the equalizer APO program running the 31 band graphic equalizer and the 115 hz high pass filter.
The little UCube speakers I have sound clearer now they don't have to play below 115hz.
The matching UCube subwoofer has it's own low pass filter in it, so it only plays below 115hz.
Best of all Equalizer APO is global so everything I play on my laptop now, from MC26 to spotify and everything online benefits from the 115z crossover and 31 band EQ.
If anyone has small speakers and a subwoofer I highly recommend using a crossover.
Small speakers sound much clearer when they don't have to try to play frequencies they really can't and are being played by the subwoofer anyways.

https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/?version=13
Pages: [1]   Go Up