INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed with WDM  (Read 1127 times)

Felipon

• Recent member
Help needed with WDM
« on: November 12, 2020, 06:36:50 pm »

I just got JRiver 27.
I have been using DLNA without problems.
I want to stream Tidal from my laptop (which is my DLNA server) to my DAC (Yamaha wxc-50), so I installed WDM driver, but I have not been able to get any sound in my pre-amplifier.
When I run Tidal in my laptop I get several options for output speakers:
   1. Default JRiver Media Center 25
   2. Comunications JRiver Media Center 25
   3. Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition)
    4. JRiver Media Center 25 (More adjustments)
  With option 3 I get sound in my laptop.  All other options I don't get any sound anywhere.

To instal the WDM driver I folowed instructions in:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver
   I understand I can't use DLNA and WDM at the same time, so I canceled the DLNA, but that did not work.

Obviouslly I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.
Can anyone help me?
Does anyone knows where I can get more precise instructions?

I would appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help needed with WDM
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 07:31:27 pm »

I don't use Tidal so can't explain the three output options you say it shows. Maybe someone who uses it can explain.

But do this:
In MC, "Options > Audio > Audio Device" select the laptop speakers. There should be a specific listing for them. There may be more than one, with a Direct Sound and a WASAPI one at least. Choose either.
In Tidal, test each of the output devices that mention Medi Center. Find the one that produces audio out of the laptop speakers.

Now you know that the WDM Driver is working from Tidal to MC. All you have to do now is work out which output to select in MC to get audio out of your DAC.
So, select the Yamaha WXC-50 in the MC "Options > Audio > Audio Device" setting.
Now play a local file from the laptop hard drive to the DAC.

Does audio play?
If not, solve that problem.
If audio does play under those conditions, play Tidal to MC. That should work.
If it does not, how is your laptop connected to the Yamaha WXC-50? Via USB or some other wired connection, or via wireless, or something similar to DLNA? Does Windows have a driver that sends the audio via the network to the WXC-50?

Basically, debug each step in the audio path independently.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 08:10:46 pm »

WDM is only for devices directly connected to your Media Center computer. Your Yamaha seems to be a network device, so WDM won't help you. You can get Tidal through Media Center to your Yamaha, but you'll need some other software in the mix. I use BubbleUPnP. Google that and come back if you have further questions.

Felipon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:40:34 pm »

First in regards RoderickGI comment, the problem is when I have to choose a Tidal output speaker that send signal to the laptop:  The only one that does it is "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition)".  All others are Media Center "speakers" but none of them send sound to laptop.

Now DJLegba's comment, what type of connection is needed?  And yes, my Yamaha is a network device. The program BubbleUPnP Server should be instaled in the laptop?

Thank you both for your comments...

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 09:47:43 pm »

Now DJLegba's comment, what type of connection is needed?  And yes, my Yamaha is a network device. The program BubbleUPnP Server should be instaled in the laptop?

It can be installed anywhere on your network, but you can't go wrong installing it on your MC server. You won't be able to use the Tidal app on your phone or tablet. You'll need to use Bubble. There's a lot of info out there in the Googleverse.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:55:22 pm »

WDM is only for devices directly connected to your Media Center computer.

I was thinking it might work over the network, if the laptop was playing to a MusicCast driver, for example. MusicCast probably handles streams without needed to know the length of the tracks. It isn't a file based protocol like DLNA as far as I know. But I dont' use it.

The only one that does it is "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition)".  All others are Media Center "speakers" but none of them send sound to laptop.

In that case, try first to get YouTube audio to play via MC using the WDM. It could be that the format Tidal is sending to the WDM isn't supported.

Do you know what format you are playing from Tidal? It isn't MQA is it? Otherwise, what File Format, Bit Depth, and Sample Rate, please.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Felipon

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:20:51 pm »

If I play YouTube it will not go to WXC-50, when I use the Media Center "speakers" in Tidal.
Tidal is not playing MQA.  It is playing "High" which for Tidal means CD quality.

I found BubbleUPnP Server for Windows, and Windows fired up all alarms.  I downloade the single user installer anyway and when trying to install, again Windows said that the program was dangerous. I got it at https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/windows_install.html
  Is it safe in your experience?  Is it the right place to download it?
   I also found "Stream What You Hear"  Any experince with it?

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 12:43:47 pm »

MC doesn't do MQA, so if that's your goal you need to pursue a different route.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:44:18 pm »

If I play YouTube it will not go to WXC-50, when I use the Media Center "speakers" in Tidal.

This is confusing. The output device setting in Tidal should have no effect on YouTube, unless you are running Youtube from within Tidal?

Play some YouTube videos in Chrome or your favourite browser, with the default Audio Device in windows set to the Media Center Audio Device, and MC running of course, with its Audio Device set to the WXC-50. Does audio play under those circumstances? If you can't get this simple setup working, something else is wrong, and you won't be able to get Tidal working.

Tidal is not playing MQA.  It is playing "High" which for Tidal means CD quality.

That's good. So Tidal should just be playing PCM out, which is what the WDM can process.

BubbleSoft is a trustworthy company. You got it from the correct location. I just downloaded it again and checked it for viruses and malware. It is clean. It sounds like your security software is being over zealous, or is just wrong. I use Norton 360 which is very reliable.

I also found "Stream What You Hear"  Any experince with it?

No experience at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up