INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client Settings/Preferences - Can they be backed up?  (Read 868 times)

donlboy

• World Citizen
Client Settings/Preferences - Can they be backed up?
« on: November 16, 2020, 03:08:04 pm »

I have a client HTPC in my theater. The PC in my office is the media network server. Both are running MC 26 and both are on the same LAN. The client is configured for 5.1 channel audio and many other settings for my theater configuration. Many of these settings are different from the ones needed for the server local zone, which, for example, is a 2.1 setup. My question is where these settings are saved. I want to back them up so I can easily recover the total configuration in case of disaster or to revert to the saved configuration after undesired changes. I have looked at the client HTPC registry and there are a number of zone entries but it isn't clear how they relate to my issue, if at all. So: 1. Is it possible to back up the client settings? 2. If so, how can I do so? 3. How can I best restore these saved settings?

I have tried to pull this information out of the wiki and/or this forum, but haven't had any luck so far.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Client Settings/Preferences - Can they be backed up?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »

Every MC installation has a default local Library. If you delete it, MC will re-create it.

To back up the settings on your MC Client PC, simply load the default local Library and then run a Library Backup. MC will run an automatic backup if you leave the Client with the default Library loaded, but I'm not sure how quickly it will initiate that. So best to do a manual Library Backup.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:32:49 pm »

Thanks, looks like it works. I loaded and backed up the main library on the client, then re-loaded the server library that I normally use and changed some DSP settings there, and verified they were changed. I then re-loaded the main library and restored the backup I had just made. I again loaded the same server library and, sure enough, the settings were back to the original settings. I didn't realize that the settings for the client when using other than its main library (in which case it wouldn't be a client) were saved in the main library.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 03:11:23 pm »

I didn't realize that the settings for the client when using other than its main library (in which case it wouldn't be a client) were saved in the main library.

Well, the settings are actually saved to the Windows Registry, rather than in the Library itself. Those settings are shared between Libraries that get loaded on the PC. So they are the same when using the Server Library (running the PC as a Client) as when using a local Library.

You can't run a Library Backup when connected as a Client. MC prevents that, because it could result in some very strange problems if such a backup was restored to a local Library.

However, when you do a Library Backup of a local Library all the settings in the Registry are saved with the backup, in a Settings.ini file, which can be found in the backup zip file. Hence, settings can be saved and restored using this method, if needed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 09:19:58 am »

Thanks. It worked for me but didn't seem right that those settings were in the local library. It makes 100% sense now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up