INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A9G OLED TV w/Android OS or Nvidia Shield TV  (Read 1519 times)

battlescarze

• Recent member
Sony A9G OLED TV w/Android OS or Nvidia Shield TV
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:11:36 am »

Hi,

I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a new Sony, but I am very hesitant due to JRiver issues that might crop up. I currently use a LG TV that works excellent as a renderer by default with the LG TVOS.

A couple year back I tried a Sony 800 series w/Android and it ended up being returned because the experience was horrible trying to playback content from my PC with JRiver.

Has anything changed?  It’s been a couple years...  I’ve searched the forums here with little results trying to find information on using Android.  I also have a Nvidia Shield TV, which should be the same as Sony’s interface with Android.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sony A9G OLED TV w/Android OS or Nvidia Shield TV
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 06:22:33 am »

Is the Sony 800 an Android TV?  I know they did Google TV when it first came out, but I'm not aware of what they've done lately.

It was Google TV at first, then Android TV, now it looks like they're going back to the Google TV name.

You might try a $50 Chromecast with Google TV.  JRiver for Android runs on it.

battlescarze

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 06:30:45 am »

Hi Jim,

The older Sony ran Android TV, so does the new one.

I also have a Shield TV, but my current LG works flawlessly as a renderer...this is my big dilemma...do I buy the new Sony?  Will I be able to watch my MKVs using JRiver?  Or is JRiver for Android still problematic?  Hoping current users can chime in on their experience with Sony’s A9G or the Shield.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 06:37:41 am »

JRiver for Android still isn't right.  Many things work, some don't.  We're still trying to fix those.

Music is fine.  Some video is OK.  Not all.

battlescarze

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 06:42:31 am »

Jim, thanks for the heads up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up