INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replaced Hard Drive, got questions  (Read 1147 times)

spanky1

• Recent member
Replaced Hard Drive, got questions
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:38:59 pm »

I currently run MC25 on a laptop, and a few weeks ago, I began getting a nasty message concerning the hard drive and it's impending failure.  The drive is still operational, so I removed it and replaced with a new hard drive.  I currently have the old drive in a hard drive case so that I can access it through the usb port to remove any needed files.

Tonight I reinstalled MC25 on the new drive, and read through several pages of posts addressing different variations of what I need.  My music files are on an external drive, so it's unaffected.  The replaced hard drive has all of my settings that I'd really like to copy.  I spend hours trying to get the software to work with my DAC, and finally it was perfect.  I did a library backup and selected the settings, so I hope this took care of the audio settings. 
Now I'm not sure how to redirect the software to look for the files on my external hard drive.  Importing the library doesn't seem necessary since I don't want those files on the hard drive.

Are there any MC25 settings files on my old drive that I can copy and paste to the new drive to duplicate the settings, or is the settings back-up sufficient?

Can someone offer some advice?  I'm sure I'm trying to complicate a very simple process.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replaced Hard Drive, got questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 09:03:04 pm »

Restore the Library Backup you made to the MC installation on your new drive. Include the Library & Playlists, and Settings in the Restore process.

MC will be just as it was before. It will point to your external drive to find the media files. It will have all your audio settings for the DAC.

Do not import your media files again. Do not let MC do it either. It will try when you do a new installation and have an empty Library, but you probably already saw that. Importing again is a waste of time. Just Restore the Library Backup.

PS: MC doesn't move file unless you tell it to, so there is no danger that your media files will be moved from your external drive to the new laptop drive.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 09:27:10 pm »

Alternatively, if the old drive is readable, you could use Macrium Reflect to clone the old drive to the new. Then you wouldn't have this question, or any other, because it would be like nothing had happened. Everything would be like it was before, not just MC, and you wouldn't be looking for any files.

spanky1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:36:10 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the advice.  I'd actually tried the cloning.  My IT friend tried this, but the drive wouldn't clone.  It was readable, but it was dying.  I found the old backup files, and went back to my last one from a month ago.  Everything looks perfect.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up