INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC stream HD audio to multiple synced zones via Ethernet?  (Read 1380 times)

jammalammer

• Recent member
Can MC stream HD audio to multiple synced zones via Ethernet?
« on: November 18, 2020, 12:26:33 am »

I've tried reading the Wiki but I'm very confused since MC can be used for so many different things.

All I want to do is have MC (containing my FLAC music library) running on my Windows 10 PC and send uncompressed synchronized audio out to:

1) the PC's local USB audio interface which is connected to a MiniDSP2x4HD

2) also over the network to a Raspberry Pi 4 B+ which is USB audio to a different MiniDSP2x4HD.

What software can I install on the RPi to make it a network "endpoint" for the MC audio?

Also is it possible to pipe other audio through MC, such as from the Tidal or Spotify Win 10 apps?

I'm trying to switch to MC from Roon and I can't find a simple How-To.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can MC stream HD audio to multiple synced zones via Ethernet?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:37:25 am »

Yes, depending on how much perfection you require.

Run MC, or any DLNA renderer, on the Raspberry Pi, and MC can send the music to it.  That is not the problem.

But perfect synchronization is problematic.  MC does its best to synchronize music across remote zones, and has made some improvements in this regard in recent years, but you will have to try it to see if it is acceptable to you.

If the two zones are largely out of earshot of each other, like opposite ends of the house, it will be fine.  If the two rooms are right next to each other with an opening between them and lots of audio bleed-through, you could well notice mis-synchronization.  It will be harder if you are running a DLNA renderer on the Pi instead of MC, because the renderer will have variable lag depending on many factors.

You will have to try it.

There is no simple how-to for MC. That would be nice for new users. It does not exist.

jammalammer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:55:46 am »

Thank you. The rooms are adjacent, so sync is important. But running audio in both rooms at the same time is more of a "nice to have" feature. Since I'm currently running Ropieee on the RPi, it seems I can just upgrade to the XL version to add DLNA support -- I'll give that a try and see if MC can find it on the network.

My main wish is to use MC on my PC to serve audio from my library to either room, and control playback from my iPhone.

I see there's a JRemote app in the App Store but there's no way to try before buying. Can anyone tell me if this app allows control of the MC from the iPhone's lock screen and the volume buttons on the side of the phone? Specifically when the iPhone is being used as a remote only, and not as an audio endpoint. That was my main complaint about the Roon app, it was nothing but a dumb remote control if the audio was going from Roon server (PC) to my stereo, and I could never glance at my lock screen to see what's playing or to skip a track etc.

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 01:27:21 am »

JRemote is a very nice remote app. But it doesn't do what you want.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 04:42:54 pm »

There may be a workaround though.

I don't know about the iPhone version, but JRemote2 for Android allows you to control the volume with the physical buttons, and it displays what is playing, and controls, in the Notification area.

If the iPhone version works the same, and the iPhone can place the notification on the lock screen (the controls are simplified on the lock screen - basically the track data and Pause/Play), then JRemote can do what you wish... Ah wait. If JRemote2 is playing to a remote Zone such as the MC PC, and not to the phone itself, then the notification is not displayed on the phone.  :(  So maybe it can't do what you want.

Someone needs to check the iPhone version. Do you have that Wer?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:45:03 pm »

JRemote2 is for Android. I did check JRemote for IOS. It doesn't do what he wants.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:46:04 pm »

Always thorough.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:46:26 pm »

JRemote allows the same basic controls from the lock screen, but only when playing locally on the phone - or by extension to a bluetooth connected device.

When playing to a remote Zone nothing appears on the lock screen.

wer

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 06:59:39 pm »

Which was exactly his complaint about the Roon app. Which is why I said JRemote doesn't do what he wants. :)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 04:50:23 pm »

Just highlighting that we've got your back wer, hate for you to feel unsupported in here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up