INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding Volume Leveling  (Read 350 times)

Rudy81

• Junior Woodchuck
Understanding Volume Leveling
« on: November 20, 2020, 10:17:28 am »

I wish to get a better understanding of the mechanics behind volume leveling regarding the music file itself. I back up all my music on an UnRaid computer.  I have always backed up the files as I have ripped them.  I then import them onto my music drives.  When dealing with MC it takes quite a bit of time to 'analyze' the files when importing into my library so that volume leveling can be used. 

My current understanding is that as each file is analyzed, a tag entry is made in the file to be used by MC during playback to enact volume leveling.  Is that correct?  If this is correct, then a better option is to first import the files (.flac and iso) into MC and then, once modified with appropriate tags back them up to the UnRaid machine, thus avoiding any need in the future to analyze the files again when upgrading my playback machine. 

I would appreciate any guidance on this subject.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: Understanding Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:56 pm »

Yes, you got it right. Tags are written on analysis, and depending on the results and the volume normalization settings, the volume is normalized during playback.

If you don't want to import to MC first, you can also just drag the files to a playback zone (i.e. play them), then select them all, right click -> Library Tools -> Analyse Volume. This works before importing, and volume analysis is written to the tags.

Rudy81

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 01:14:10 pm »

Yes, you got it right. Tags are written on analysis, and depending on the results and the volume normalization settings, the volume is normalized during playback.

Thank you!  After the current analysis is complete, which has taken days and nowhere near done (6TB of music), I will replace my backups with the analyzed files. 

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »

You are welcome :) While you are at it: Consider what new tags you would like to store in your files, and set them all at once. JRiver allows you to define your own fields, which is pretty powerful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up