INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice For S/PDIF Input To W10 HTPC  (Read 1255 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Advice For S/PDIF Input To W10 HTPC
« on: November 26, 2020, 11:32:19 pm »

I want to run 5.1 sound using the toslink output from my lanai TV to the htpc, about 50 feet in length using a Cat5 balun.

Is there a reasonable way to get toslink or SPDIF into the pc and available to MC for output? I have an open slot or it could be USB. Machine is a Ryzen 5 w/16 gig ram, currently using the mobo analog outs, but could go with a different sound card if needed.

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Advice For S/PDIF Input To W10 HTPC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 02:38:45 am »

What you're asking for is actually quite complicated and expensive to achieve. You may be better off going another route.

You could use a blackmagic or Magewell capture device using HDMI ARC with a HDCP stripper device inline.. like i said.. it gets complicated.

What exactly are you trying to do? What do you want to playback from your TV that you cant source directly from your PC and route via MC WDM loopback?

You maybe better off putting a TV/satellite capture card in your PC.  Or just accepting there are some things just arent meant to be done in MC.

Here's an example of how complicated this can get.... depending on what you're trying to do...   

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392907-Is-there-a-lossless-video-capture-card-that-also-captures-5-1-audio/page3

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:27:22 am »

Thanks Hilton.

I suppose my question simplified would be:

If I had a sound card with SPDIF input, would that input be available to MC, other than using the "File / Open Live..." option?
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 07:35:20 pm »

Short answer, no.
Pages: [1]   Go Up