INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is this album separated?  (Read 878 times)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
Why is this album separated?
« on: November 27, 2020, 10:41:34 am »

Hi Guys,
Could someone please look at this screenshot of this album and tell me why track 9 has separated from the other 11 tracks? I have looked and opened both with Tagging, I cannot see what is causing the separation, someone please lead me out of the darkness...... . . . . .
Thanks
Andy

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why is this album separated?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:55:08 am »

Possibly hidden characters? I would select all the tracks and set the album name to the same value in all tracks. Same with album artist.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:13:56 pm »

Correct, I've seen many times where a space at the end of the album name could cause this.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 01:18:11 pm »

Or you're grouping 'Album Artist' and one file has a different value.

wer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 01:40:46 pm »

dtc gave the correct answer.

Either [Album] or [Album Artist] is different on that track 9, perhaps with a space or other non-printable character.

Fix those tags, and you'll be all set.

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 07:22:22 pm »

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your replies. You were all correct, there was an issue within the [Album Artist] field. However, why there was an issue has me confused as to how MC 'sees' data?

I have two copies of that album, one in 24/96 (noted in the title) and one in DSD. The DSD version was the one showing the error. By default MC had placed [Varies] in the [Album Artist] field, when I changed this to [Various] everything dropped into place.

But, in the 24/96 version the [Album Artist] field was automatically left blank and there is no issue? I have included screenshots to show how it looks in Tag view. I would like to try and understand this difference, perhaps there is a default import procedure that I should set up for importing compilations.
Once again thank you everyone for your help.
Andy

wer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 07:47:01 pm »

You're misinterpreting what you saw.

Importing doesn't change tags, unless you specifically create rules to write particular tags at auto import. You'd have to know how to do that, so I doubt you did.

MC didn't put the value "Varies" in any field. It was telling you that the value of that field varies across the files you have selected.

If Album Artist is blank for one file, and says Bob for the other, if you select them both (like by selecting the album) then Album Artist will show as Varies. Because it varies. Look at the individual files, and you will see the different values.

If you edit a field while you have the "album" selected, you actually have all the tracks in the album selected, and are editing that tag for all the tracks.  That's what you did when you typed in "Various". Since that value was then written to all the files, the values no longer varied, they all took on the same value "Various".  I think you're well on your way to confusing yourself. :)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 09:19:10 pm »

Dear Wer,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Your explanations are really great and methodical.
The fact that [Varies] indicates something wrong within that field (across the album) is so helpful to know. I had wrongfully assumed that it was telling me that it was Various as in Various Artists.
Can I ask what time zone you are in, rarely do I find someone on the same time zone as me, unless they are in Oz or Beijing!
I am still working through your reply to my other 'major post', I will respond soon to that too. as I have some questions there.
I purchased a piece of software, a month ago, called AudioRanger; which is a tagging aid. I am using that to help me sort out some of the mess, great product and the developer, Mathias, is super helpful. It is 95 to 100% successful everytime you drop an album into it.
Andy

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:40:05 am »

This is wer  ;D
(meant as a compliment to wer for always helping out people in need of help)

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

wer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 01:44:14 am »

That drawing is very unrealistic.  I don't have a butler.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 01:47:46 am »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 01:57:25 am »

If you're applying for the job, Glynor, forget it.  I would never employ you as a butler.  Every steak you'd bring me would have bites taken out of it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up