INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashing with 27.0.34 (overnight)  (Read 709 times)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
Crashing with 27.0.34 (overnight)
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:45:07 am »

Subsequent to upgrading to 27.0.34 (on a Windows 10 PC), MC doesn't seem to be able to stay running overnight.  When I try connecting in the morning (JRemote 3.34 on an iPad), it ends up timing out. 

Starting MC on the PC after that, it threw up the "didn't shutdown properly" dialog.  JRemote connects after that, and I'm able to use it for several hours.  It must not last, however, for this is the second morning in a row that the hiccup has occurred.

I've turned on logging and will post again if I get anything concrete to share.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with 27.0.34?

Thanks,
  Matt

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Crashing with 27.0.34 (overnight)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 01:45:32 pm »

Not sure if this is it but, one thing I have found over the years if you have "Update Channels" on and MC tries to do an update when the PC Screen is it off their seems to be an issue with the UAC pop when the auto install kicks off.  I've had to turn off Auto Updates and that fixed my problem.
JRiver CEO Elect

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 02:36:17 am »

The other option is a Windows Update waiting in the wings , I often find this causes glitches until applied.

I keep the update channel on Stable

My system is funny as in summer I shut down nightly. I often get funnies when I start up due to Win or MC updates

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 05:48:58 am »

The other option is a Windows Update waiting in the wings , I often find this causes glitches until applied.
I see the same thing.  I think it's a Windows problem.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:06:43 am »

Well, it did fine last night.  Computers -- they always know when you're watching (or logging)!

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »

Ok, so it wasn't a crash, but this morning JRemote would not connect until the MC gui had been opened on the PC.

The Windows 10 PC was rebooted last night.  I did not open MC at that time, but just let the server start.  (Media Server is what is selected within the Windows Startup options.)  This morning, I tried opening JRemote and noticed it would not connect.  I then went to the PC and clicked on JRiver's icon.  The GUI started up normally (nothing about an improper shutdown from the previous night's reboot) and, following that, JRemote connected fine.

Is there anything I should look for in the logs that might help with this?  The server should have been active without having to pull up the GUI.

Thanks!
  Matt

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:34:05 pm »

My two cents for simple things to check:

1) This PC > Manage > Services and Applications > Services > JRiver Media Center 27 Service > Startup Type > Automatic (Delayed Start)

2) JRiver > Tools > Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Run on Windows startup: > Media Server (allows library sharing, television recording, etc.)

Without 2), the JRiver MC Server icon does not show up among the taskbar icons and I could not use Android JRemote2 to connect to server after rebooting PC.  I needed to manually open the MC application as you describe.

With 2), MC Server icon shows up after reboot and all is good.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:04:12 pm »

1) This PC > Manage > Services and Applications > Services > JRiver Media Center 27 Service > Startup Type > Automatic (Delayed Start)

2) JRiver > Tools > Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Run on Windows startup: > Media Server (allows library sharing, television recording, etc.)

Item 2 is already set up as such (per my earlier posting).

Item 1 -- the service setting for MC 27 -- is currently set as Manual.  However, that matches the (now historical) MC 26 service setting.  I don't recall having to change that in the past.  I had always found the Tools > Options > Startup setting within JRiver itself adequate.

Has anything changed in that regard?  Do others find that they also have to modify the Windows Services settings, separate from MC's settings?

Thanks,
  Matt

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 09:10:29 am »

I set Item 1 - the service setting - back to "Manual" Startup Type and find that JR Media Server still starts up after a reboot. As before, JRemote2 connectivity works without logging into Win10 or starting up the MC GUI.

PCs: Intel NUC 8i5BEH and Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 (2012 vintage laptop)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 20H2 Build 19042.630
MC 27.0.34 64-bit
JRemote2 Version 2.2.0-api21 (Android)

Note I corrected previous post to indicate I am using JRemote2, not JRemote.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 12:27:40 pm »

The Windows 10 machine -- and MC -- stayed up for several days continuously without any issue.  I tried a (warm, obviously) reboot and the MC server was responsive without having to touch the PC (no GUI running).

So, chalk it up to some update oddities, I suppose!
Pages: [1]   Go Up