INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Slideshow using DLNA  (Read 897 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problem with Slideshow using DLNA
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:23:32 am »

When displaying a playlist of images to a DLNA device, there does not seem to be a way to do a timed slideshow. I have the slideshow interval set to 10 seconds. It works fine to a local display, but not when using DLNA. I can start a slideshow from Playing Options - More or using the space bar with local display, but I do not see those options when using DNLA.   it seems like MC should be able to control a slideshow even if the display is through DNLA. Am I missing something?

In addition, using the arrow keys to advance and backup the slide show do not work with DLNA. I can advance by clicking on the next image or clicking on the arrows in the control section at the top of the display. But there does not seem to be a keyboard command to advance the playlist.

I am far more likely to display a slide show on a TV than on my local display. It would be nice to have the same control over the slideshow with DLNA as with the local display.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problem with Slideshow using DLNA
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 09:33:47 am »

dtc - You are not the only person experiencing that type of problem with DLNA.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127720.0.html

Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 11:53:46 am »

Sending slideshows to a DLNA renderer, I'd like to do that too. However, the results were rather sobering. Even if another MC is running as a renderer, only every second image is displayed.
With my 75 "Samsung, there is also the fact that every time the image changes, the large forward / backward and pause / play buttons are displayed on the screen. Although they have no function, they interfere with the slideshow.
The only thing that works for me with DLNA is to request the data from MC from the TV. So to create the corresponding views and playlists in MC, but then call them up from the TV.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 12:17:50 pm »

With DLNA, control of the playback is entirely determined by the Renderer, so try setting the timing there.

rolf, your problem might be solved by setting conversion on the server.  If the images are big, and the network isn't fast, they may not get there in time.  Try a smaller size image.  If you did set conversion, it's possible that it isn't fast enough.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 12:25:03 pm »

I also see the same control bar on my Samsung. It is, of course, worthless since you cannot access it. Fortunately it is only up briefly.

I can use Gizmo to control a slide show, although I have to advance manually, but it is pretty easy.  I still want to use DLNA rather than casting, so I can use the 4K resolution of my 70" Sony.  And I want the automatic advance with repeat for unattended slide shows.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 12:29:40 pm »

With DLNA, control of the playback is entirely determined by the Renderer, so try setting the timing there.

rolf, your problem might be solved by setting conversion on the server.  If the images are big, and the network isn't fast, they may not get there in time.  Try a smaller size image.  If you did set conversion, it's possible that it isn't fast enough.
MC sends individual images to the renderer. In MC you can send the next image by clicking on the next image or by clicking on the Next button in the control section. If MC can do that it should be able to do the same thing on a timed basis. I do not think this is a renderer issue. It is a MC issue.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »

Looks like Bob already took a shot at this back in 2013.

In the next generally available build:

Implement DLNA image slideshow when pushing an image playlist to a renderer. Follows slideshow logic that MC uses including the image duration in Options->Images->Slide Show Duration.

It looks like he put in the same slideshow logic used for local displays for DLNA displays.  It seems like this should be possible on mainstream TVs like Samsung and Sony.  But, I cannot even see a way to start a slideshow when using DLNA.  Again, if MC can send the next image when I click on it, it seems like it should be able to do the same thing on a timed basis.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:51:00 am »

I tried "Disable SetNext support" and   "Disable Transport Events" as Bob suggested in the old thread. Neither helped on my Samsung and Sony TVs.  I found no rendering settings on either TV.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:54:28 am »

Did you try AndrewFG's DMRA?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 08:08:33 am »

Did you try AndrewFG's DMRA?
No. 

These are standard new model Sony and Samsung TVs. It really seems like JRiver should be able to support slide shows on these devices.  Maybe someone at JRiver has either a Sony or Samsung TV they could test.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 07:01:17 am »

Watching the Media Network traffic under Services & Plugins, there is no network traffic to or from the TV at the slideshow interval.  It is as if the slideshow never started.

If the DLNA control of the slideshow is not happening, I suggest that sending a Next command at the slide show interval should work. The Next command used manually advances to the next slide, so just issuing that command at the correct interval should be an easy way to advance the slides without having to rely on DLNA to do anything other than display the slides. Just a suggestion.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:04 am »

Here are the Whitebear reports.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:43 am »

bump - Any idea on how to get this to work?

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 11:50:30 am »

Working DLNA Image playback would be great !!!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 08:44:10 am »

I also have a small LG TV. Unfortunately, MC does not see that TV, even though Whitebear connects to it and runs its analysis. So, I cannot test if slide shows work on it.

Unfortunately, it looks like I am not going to be able to run a timed slide show on my TVs using MC.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 08:59:58 am »

That is doubly a pity because the image playback directly from MediaCenter cannot crop the images. Full screen display therefore requires all images to be cropped manually. MC treats image slideshows very frugal.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 09:48:25 am »

If you're using DLNA, the Renderer controls the display.

MC does fit images to the screen by default.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 10:41:06 am »

'Fit' means that there were black borders when the aspect ratio doesn't match ?
Most of my images are shot in 3:2. On my 16:9 TV there is always black borders left and right. Or is there an option to configure that ? Similar to the video options.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 12:00:08 pm »

Unfortunately, the MC slide show option does not work, at least for me, on Samsung and Sony TVs. They are two very important TV makers, with Samsung the worldwide leader in TV sales. So, it is very disappointing that MC will not work with those TVs and you seem to just blame the problem on the TV manufactures without any analysis.  I have made a suggestion as to how you might make it work, without being so dependent on the renderer to control the timing. Have you considered that approach?  I really think you should consider how you might be able to make this option work, not just dismiss the problem.

By the way, I posted the Whitebear analysis. Did they tell you anything about the problem?

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 04:16:48 am »

Slideshow via DLNA is currently unusable. Whether it's MC or TV doesn't matter.
But even if it would work, it is only half as functional as the connection via HDMI. Sound transmission, fade effects, freely selectable intervals and individual subtitles are not available with DLNA.

All of this would be possible if MC could redirect the video output to a virtual screen, which the DLNA server would offer as a 'video file'.
Video playback from MC on TV works well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up