INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver Setup - no volume control - I have a weird setup to start with  (Read 1378 times)

codecode

• Recent member

Hi
I have tried to use the WDM Driver to enable other apps (games) to run through the MC26 driver.
I have not tried anything past the setup since, even though it seems to be working, I have NO volume control, even JRiver does not handle volume control.
I have tried several options such as setting the volume to system/application/internal with no good results.
My Windows10 sound setting was certainly set to the jriver option.

What am I missing here??

codecode

• Recent member
Re: WDM Driver Setup - no volume control - I have a weird setup to start with
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:52:22 am »

Ok, Now i have turned off WDM, but JRiver takes over everything and my volume controller (rainmeter) does not work until JRiver is closed. That point means that everything has no sound excepting JRiver.

I would like to find the midpoint and get JRiver to be the sound controller but still have my rainmeter app manage independent volumes for games and JRiver alike.

Right now ,I have to keep JRiver off, so that I can play my game with sound. So it seems JRiver now (didnt before trying WDM) segregates all the sounds from its preferences and Ican only have music, and no other sounds or no music and have other apps have sound.

JRiver seems to be enabling windows "audio enhancements" and that seems to be my culprit, so that is on and nothing but JRiver works, or enhancements are off and I have my control restored.

SO the question remains - what am I missing here??

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 06:22:53 am »

The WDM driver is for other programs to direct their output through JRiver.

The JRiver output is controlled by which driver you use in settings, Audio, Audio Device, then device settings. I'd start with the WASAPI driver.

In terms of volume try changing the settings, Audio, Volume, volume mode to pick up the right windows channel to control the volume. Try the internal volume. I had the same issue. Thee is a setting somewhere that JRiver is set for exclusive use of the output device. This is complicated by the fact that windows does not do a good job of being able to assign different programs to different outputs. In fact it's not possible from stand alone windows without using a separate utility.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

codecode

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:28:46 pm »

Yes, those things were tried.

My output program is Realtek Audio, so that is what I set through the sound device setting.

I am more interested in, now, that setting 'somewhere' that makes JRiver the exclusive sound manager, since that is what I need to access for my output to allow me to regain control of output.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 01:38:44 pm »

Do you have maximize device volume during playback enabled?
Audio->Device settings

codecode

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 05:16:32 pm »

That option does not seem to exist.

I just uninstalled and deleted every jriver folder or file then reinstalled.

Back to normal now.

I will try WDM another time.

Thanks for the replies.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen

Hi
I have tried to use the WDM Driver to enable other apps (games) to run through the MC26 driver.
I have not tried anything past the setup since, even though it seems to be working, I have NO volume control, even JRiver does not handle volume control.
I have tried several options such as setting the volume to system/application/internal with no good results.
My Windows10 sound setting was certainly set to the jriver option.

What am I missing here??

Unfortunately the WDM driver appears to only implement full on/full off volume control and nothing in between.
If you set volume to 0 or mute in the Windows Volume mixer, it does work. Any other value is full on ...
IMO it's missing functionality. Doing software volume control has a computational cost, but it should at least be offered as an option, or really, have an option to turn it off if one has a very slow machine, as not having volume control is very odd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up