INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Startup interface for Theater View  (Read 891 times)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
Startup interface for Theater View
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:48:46 am »

Hi,
Is there a way of making JRiver always start the Theater view the same way?

I'm not saying, that I want JRiver to always start in Theater View as you can set under Options/Startup but when I choose to go into Theater View I want the same view to be there when I open Theater View.
As it is now Theater View will start up as where I left it when I exited Theater View.

Example, I want Theater View to always start as per attachment.

Best regards,
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Startup interface for Theater View
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:31:48 pm »

Theater view will always start in the same place (first position) on initial launch: i.e. first launch of theater view after MC has been started.  If you are toggling back and forth between theater view and standard view, MC tries to remember your position. This is intentional, and JRiver think they're doing you a favor.  You notice when you toggle from theater view to standard view, your standard view positions is NOT changed: it's exactly where you left it.  I doubt you'd be happy if MC reset your standard view position every time you returned from theater view. :)  There is however an option to reset your standard view position when you first launch MC, as you probably know.

Interestingly, the behavior in theater view is not completely consistent (or perhaps the word buggy could be used). You perhaps don't notice it because of your menu configuration.  The way theater view position recall ACTUALLY behaves:
- If the position is on the main roller, it will return to the last position on the main roller that triggered a transition (by returning from a sub-roller, or by hitting enter), not necessarily the last position that the cursor was on.
- If the position is on a sub-roller, it will return to the first position on that sub-roller.

So it does NOT always leave you at the last menu position your cursor was resting. That would be intuitive, but that's not what it currently does. The current behavior is it might leave you at your last cursor position, or it might leave you somewhere else.

There is no way through the GUI to change the Theater View behavior.

However, you can go to your preferred view by issuing the MCC command MCC_THEATER_VIEW
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands
The 0 and 1 options (toggle, and home) on this command sound promising, but I tested and neither one does exactly what you hope.  You cannot assign these commands to a toolbar button, but you can assign them to a hotkey.

Personally, I think the way it behaves now is unintuitive, so I would prefer if it always started at the first position on the main roller.  But perhaps someone else can think of a good reason why it shouldn't be changed to that behavior.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:41:56 pm »

On our HTPC, I use autohotkey to send the required 'right/left/up/down' strokes, which allows me to assign buttons on the remote to take us, for example, directly to 'Movies'....
Run mc27.exe /Mode Standard
Sleep 40
Run mc27.exe /MCC 22001,0
Sleep 1000
Sendinput {Right 3}
Sendinput {Down}
Sendinput {Right 2}
Sendinput {Enter}

This is fast! What I see, is the screen goes black for about a second, and returns with the required Theater View location. It's about 99% accurate. I want 100%, but have been too lazy :)
When it arrives in the wrong place, a second press will sort things out, but, that very rarely happens.

The point is, for this to work, Theater View has to always load in the same place else the left/right/up/downs would be a total lottery.

Maybe that helps a little bit...

-marko

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 01:37:41 am »

Thank you both for your reply's!
I will look at the command line feature and see if that might help.

My use case is that I have a Google Home Routine that turn of lights/dim light, turns of and deactivate motion senors to a PC screen, turns on Amplifiers, Receiver, Projector and a couple of small fans to get the air circulating in my movie room.
And the final step I've been tinkering with is to get JRiver to start as a last entry in the routine.
(From there I control JRiver with a remote control.)

I use Switchbot to send IR-commands to FLIRC that in turn trigger JRiver on the PC.
Switchbot, Smartthings and Google Home are in turn connected to IFTTT.

I get everything to work and JRiver starts as intended and it starts as it should from the last exited position.
Thereof my question regarding position in Theater view.

Might be a suggesting for future updates to be able in GUI to control how Theater view behaves upon startup.

Again thanx and happy holidays!  :D

//arcpsin
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

wer

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 02:14:43 am »

Arcspin, it sounds like you're talking about a cold start.

If that's the case, why not just shut MC down entirely, then launch it and go to theater view?

That can all be done from a script, and will be 100% reliable, and it will be sitting at the first position of your theater view menu 100% of the time.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 02:33:02 am »

No cold start, I use the server for another PC, so the server needs to be on all the time.

But I could perhaps start the last leg of the routine with a complete exit of JRiver incl server before I restart JRiver, as long as my spouse is not using the other PC 😉

wer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:29 pm »

I've done a little testing, and as best as I can tell, forcing theater view into a specific section and then returning it to the menu does the trick for making it always go to the starting position.

So:
mc27 /mcc 22001,3
mc27 /mcc 22001,0

seems to work. You might need a delay in between them.  The first one forces it to the audio view, and the second one (the 0 parameter) toggles back to the menu. Using 1 instead of 0 does not produce the desired effect.  I also tried this in combination with toggling in and out of standard more with MCC 22000  and it still worked ok.

Give that a try...

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 05:07:54 am »

Thank you  :D
The: mc27 /mcc 22001,0 seems to work well when I test that command from cmd.exe

I have to start to read up on how to control JRiver with command line instructions.

Somehow I have to program Switchbot hub mini to send a IR-code to FLIRC so FLIRC can then do a turn over to a command line instruction that sets JRiver into Theater View mode. Is this thinking correct?

How are you controlling JRiver with command lines and are there any instructions/tutorials that might help me?

This is new territory for me...

Cheers,
//arcspin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 05:27:40 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up