INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver does not save tags  (Read 2184 times)

GB

• Recent member
JRiver does not save tags
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:57:02 am »

Hello,

I've edited many one file FLAC tags in the JRiver library. But if you delete these files from the library (revert datafields back to defaults) and add the same files from your HDD to the library again, it appeares that the tags have not been saved.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver does not save tags
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:17:03 am »

At the bottom on the tagging window there is a section called Tag Dump. It will show you the tags that are stored in the file.  The is an option in Library Options to Update Library (From Tags) that updates the library from the tags stored in the file.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 08:26:59 am »

dtc kind of beat me to it, but here's a little more info. with this stuff:

1. Make sure you're saving the particular fields you want saved to the file. Go to Options--->Library & Folders-->Manage Library Fields and then go through the individual fields you want saved and make sure "Save in file tags (when possible)" is checked. See first image below.

2. If the fields you want saved are already saved in file tags, highlight the files in which you don't see the updated tags, right click, and choose "Library Tools-->Update Library (from tags)." That will do what it says: update the library from the saved tags in the files. See second image below.

Those should get you to where you want to be.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:06 am »

I need to go through a bulk of files to see if the new tags are set.
Does JRiver save the tags or it does not reflect them?
I need JRiver to edit tags, save them to files, reflect them by default when files are reimported to the library.
What are right settings, except for ones that set by default (for instance, saving tags into files)?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:05:41 am »

Under Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging make sure "update tags when file info changes" is ticked.

MC does save tags to the files when all the correct settings are used

The obvious question has to be why are you importing the files, editing the tags, deleting them from MC and then reimporting them?

Are you aware that is a very inefficient use of the the software since MC provides several efficient ways of organizing your music library.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:08 am »

I need to go through a bulk of files to see if the new tags are set.
Does JRiver save the tags or it does not reflect them?
I need JRiver to edit tags, save them to files, reflect them by default when files are reimported to the library.
What are right settings, except for ones that set by default (for instance, saving tags into files)?

If the library field is set to have the tags stored in the files, then MC stores those tags in the files, if possible.  You can look at the field definitions in the library (Tools - Options - Library and Folders - Manage Library Fields) to see if the tags you are concerned about are set to be stored in the files or not.

If the fields are not being written, it is possible that the files are set to be Read Only, in which case MC cannot write the data. Just something to check if you continue to have problems.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 10:09:54 am »

1. Saved in the files tags checked
2. Update tags when file info changes checked
3. File properties: Reading only unchecked
I added an abum to the library, changed the album name, checked tag dump, it shows the initital name, but the "General" section on the left shows the changed name. Open the album in two other audio players, they show the the initial name.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:05 am »

Writing changes to the files is a routine operation, so something is funky.

When you make that change, you should see Done Making Tag Change at the bottom of the screen. Do you see any message at the bottom of the screen?

Did you try Update Tags from Library?

One possibility is that the files are set for Read Only. Can you check this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 10:47:02 am »

You may also not be updating the tag you think you are.

If you add custom tags, the case must match, for example.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 11:14:29 am »

Does another program have the file open? That could prevent MC from writing the tag.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 11:29:40 am »

I repeat I use one file FLAC with a .cue which is split by JRiver. The files are not set for Read only and not used by other programs. I use the "General" section to edit tags. I choose an album name, edit it and push ENTER. There is no "Done Making Tag Change" sign. What else should be done to manually edit and save tags? I've tried Update Tags from Library to no avail.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 12:05:16 pm »

tadaa :)

The cue file is as you know, a bookmark file for the large all inclusive flac file. The entries you see for these in MC library are only the track references from the cue file.

MC cannot 'tag' these virtual track references. If you were to apply, for example, a different artist or album or, more likely, genre, to one or more of the references, what should MC write to the source file?

The only way to achieve that from within MC is to import the large flac file too, and tag that.
I have a severe dislike for the single file+cue approach, but hey, that's just me :)

-marko

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 12:19:27 pm »

Excellent. Thanks.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 01:35:02 pm »

Glad you figured it out. Did not know it was a cue file.

wer

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 03:26:22 pm »

German, is using CUE files very important to you for some reason? I think you'll find a lot of things become easier if you just deal with separated FLAC files.  Something to consider.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 01:16:12 am »

Yes, it's important, because I have a ton of files in this format. Is there an option to turn off cue splitting and enable importing just one file FLAC to the library? I know I can manually add one file FLAC to the library, but it's very inconvenient.
Now I'm facing another problem. I'm trying to transfer such files to another HDD. Instead of transferring one FLAC file (whole album) to the hdd once, it's transfering this file numerous times according to a number of songs within the album. Why can't JRiver just transfer all the files within the folder using the path to it?
All of my folders (albums) have a cue., one file FLAC and a jpg. I need JRiver to transfer all the files within the certain folders, subfolders to another HDD keeping the name of the parent folder.
I've tried using the JRiver explorer. It's all the same. It sees all the files (cue, one FLAC, image) within any folder, but unable to send them to another HDD correctly.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 11:21:00 pm »

I saw in your other post you had moved in your big flac files in Explorer and then reimported them into MC after having deleted them prior to the move.

However, why not just break the big flac files down into individual flac tracks using MC's tool "Covert Format?" Wer's suggestion of moving to individual flac files is a very good one, as you'll have all the benefits of tagging (saving tags into the individual flac files, for example), plus since flac is natively gapless, you're not going to lose the gapless quality of the big flac file + cue sheet. Convert Format works pretty quickly too, even if you have a lot of albums stored as cue/big flac: I could get through about 2,000 tracks in about 30-45 minutes with my five-year old PC.

It's real easy to do. Try it on an album or two first and then once you get used to it, try a batch. You will have to put a couple of the cue sheets back into MC (and later all of them if you decide to split them all into tracks), then highlight the tracks, right click, select "Library Tools" and then "Convert Format:"

https://pix01.jriver.com/gallery/134ECAA6-6ED4-4647-81D9-0F261024D80F/CF/

That will bring you to the Convert Format dialogue where you can choose the options you want. You want flac-to-flac, so "Convert [your number of highlighted] files to: FLAC Encoder," and then you can choose the folder options under "Options." I always choose the same directory as the original file, and I also replace the original file "on disk and in library," as I don't want 2 copies of the same album, but obviously all of that is up to you:

https://pix01.jriver.com/gallery/134ECAA6-6ED4-4647-81D9-0F261024D80F/Convert_Format/

Again, try it out with an album or two to start, maybe without replacing the original file in your initial attempt(s), till you're familiar with it.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 10:55:42 am »

An option to delete the basic one file FLAC after being split is great.  I've been looking for this in other converters.
I've tried the MC converter on a concert album, because there are no pauses between the songs. The problem is that after the conversion the transition between the songs is not seamless. Besides that, the names of the output files are cumbersome. This is not important if the songs are properly tagged and used in an audio player as JRiver. But if you look through files using the JRiver explorer or total commander this becomes problematic.
For example, the name of the basic one file flac (album in other words) is "Iced Earth - Alive In Athens [CD1] [1999, Japan, Victor, VICP-60852". The name of the two ouput songs after the conversion:
"Iced Earth - Alive In Athens [CD1] [1999, Japan, Victor, VICP-60852 (1 - Burning Times)
"Iced Earth - Alive In Athens [CD1] [1999, Japan, Victor, VICP-60852] (2 - Vengeance Is Mine)". What I need is to make these two output songs look like:
"01 - Burnning Times"
"02 - Vengeance Is Mine"

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 12:40:54 pm »

Are you converting flac to flac though? Flac is natively gapless. If you are doing flac-to-flac, that's really strange. I've done 100s of opera recordings, many of which don't have gaps between tracks and have never had this problem.

Maybe you don't have "Use gapless for sequential album tracks" checked under Options-->Audio-->Track Change?

Regarding tagging, what's output, I believe, is going to be reflected from what was on the original cue sheets; so you're likely going to have to re-tag the files if you go this route. You can try highlighting the album, right clicking, and select Library Tools-->Lookup track info from online database. MC's metadata sources are not robust, however (which is one reason why the program doesn't cost as much as Roon, say).

You can also cut off all the irrelevant stuff before "01 - Burning Times," say, but you'll have to dig into the expression language (search the wiki) to do so. Someone on here might be able to help you with that better than I, for though I can do it, I'm not that proficient.

A couple of other options for retagging: try an external program like MP3Tag or dbPoweramp and then "Update Library from tags" in MC; or try MCUtils, which allows you to tag from AllMusic, Musicbrainz, and/or Discogs. The latter does take some setting up and has a learning curve. Search the forum for MCUtils, and you'll find some posts linking to it.

Edit: Wer's right: I misread what you posted and thought you meant tags, not file names. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

wer

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »

...Besides that, the names of the output files are cumbersome...

German, I don't understand why you make posts like this, when people have recently told you about MC's RMCF (Rename, Move, and Copy Files) tool at least twice?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

You can make JRiver rename, move, and copy files however you want. Please read that article, it will help you a lot if you learn about that tool.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 05:09:06 pm »

I'm transferring flac to flac. "Use gapless for sequential album tracks" is on. Still there are skips between the tracks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 09:18:31 pm »

I'm transferring flac to flac. "Use gapless for sequential album tracks" is on. Still there are skips between the tracks.

This is something set up incorrectly with your DAC or Output Format settings, then. MC definitely handles gapless playback without issue, when set up properly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:01 pm »

Still there are skips between the tracks.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the whole story. Skips between tracks when you're playing HOW, exactly? 

Via a soundcard in the PC running MC?  Remotely on a client PC using Media Network? Via DLNA? After copying to a device using handheld sync?

Please describe to us EXACTLY how you are playing your music, the way things are connected, the equipment, the steps you take to initiate playback, everything.  We need a clear picture of what you are actually doing.  As Glynor said, MC does gapless playback beautifully, if all the other components involved support it properly.

MikeO

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 11:38:27 pm »

Maybe the renderer?

I have come across a funny recently, I have MC server feeding a Cambridge Audio CXN, all gapless no issues.

I used it with 3 control apps, JRemote, CA StreamMagic and mConnect

The first 2 control gapless no issue, the mConnect despite its Gapless Options Settings fails to pass gapless. Explain that !

I have checked all sorts, Andrew’s DLNA tool etc , all is set correctly, it must be the app

But why should a control app interfere, I have checked with duplicate test track etc

Peculiar

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 02:01:48 am »

Sorry, I was wrong. It was AIMP that played one file flac smoothly and separate files with skips. JRiver plays the latter seamlessly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up