INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPF and HPF Q factor meaning  (Read 493 times)

hylics

• Recent member
LPF and HPF Q factor meaning
« on: December 07, 2020, 04:38:19 am »

Default HPF and LPF in DSP chain has Butterworth slope approximation. As far as I know, this approximation should have Q factor ~0.707, -3dB point at crossover frequency.
But JRiver default HPF and LPF give this slope with Q = 1, that's confusing. How to interpret JRiver filter Q and order?
How to setup second order Bessel, other custom alignments with given traditional Q, there is some formula like for Shelving filters?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: LPF and HPF Q factor meaning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:58:31 am »

https://gist.github.com/endolith/4982787 might help for emulating Bessel filters or use convolution. However if the Q values are unconventional then it will probably be tricky to get right. I think you will need a developer to tell you exactly how it uses that value, I know a shelf filter is defined using S (but labelled as Q) but haven't looked into variable Q low/high pass.

hylics

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:46:18 am »

Thanks for this general topic. I agreed that I definitely need developer help to know what exactly Q mean for variable Q passfilters. And I believe this information would help other users prevent confusing mistakes. For example I did subwoofer intended to use with advanced analog correction, which I approximated in CAD by general 1,2-order pass filters with variable Q, but didn't achieved expected result.

How to raise this question to developers?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:37:30 pm »

Just by posting here and hoping they answer
Pages: [1]   Go Up