INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Colllections  (Read 454 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Large Colllections
« on: December 13, 2020, 05:46:00 am »

Users with larger collections sometimes experienced effects that never occurred with smaller collections.
The latest MC27 Build 43 runs smoothly even with distributed data carriers and even with a modest RAM expansion.

The RAM requirement is no longer based on the largest thumbnail file. Even with a 'Thumbnails (large) .jmd' of more than 5GB, blocking paging no longer occurs on a computer with only 4GB RAM.

With the appropriate configuration, MediaCenter now allows you to browse through the library without accessing the media files. Users with video collections on distributed data carriers are no longer blocked by sleeping drives.

I use an Asus 4-core barebone with 4GB Ram and 120GB SSD in the living room. 140,000 songs and 215,000 photos are stored on the NAS. 4000 films are distributed over 8 HDDs which are connected to the NAS via USB3.
For the music collection, I use complex queries with calculated fields. The view filters the artists appearing in a certain folder and then expands the selection of these artists to all folders. In the Artist \ Album view, all occurrences in MultiArtist albums would lead to countless albums. Instead of 'Albums' I therefore group according to a calculated field which returns an empty string for multi-artist albums and the album name for all other albums. The scattered individual titles all appear under 'unassigned' in a group.
There is indeed a lot to calculate and sort out. But the latest media center easily manages that even with this modest equipment.
With one caveat: I only use TheaterView and Views in Category View. In the Panes view, changing from one album to the next takes around 2 seconds. I only use this view on very fast computers which I use for tagging and organizing the database.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Re: Large Colllections
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:37:50 am »

Wow thanks for the update.  There have been plenty of people who have been challenged by a large collection of Audio / Video files.  Your post provides some good guidelines to help those that have had performance issue problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 07:45:14 am »

Wow thanks for the update.  There have been plenty of people who have been challenged by a large collection of Audio / Video files.  Your post provides some good guidelines to help those that have had performance issue problems.
Those issues were only seen with large collections on disk arrays where drives were spun down.  Anyone who had drives that were spinning would not have seen it.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:28:10 pm »

Those issues were only seen with large collections on disk arrays where drives were spun down.  Anyone who had drives that were spinning would not have seen it.

This is correct for the improvements which came with Build 43.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127858.0.html

Two or three weeks ago (Build 035) the huge demand for RAM when reading thumbnail files has been fixed. Since then a lib with 300'000 to 400'000 items runs fine also with 4GB RAM.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127472.50.html

If you're experiencing performance problems. I suggest: Spend the few dollars for an upgrade to MC27 instead of buying new hardware. It' is worth every cent.
This not only protects the environment. We're proving to JRiver that we appreciate their efforts.

Note: The original title on my post was: "MC has made great strides in the last few weeks". I wonder why the admin changed that to "Large Colllections". It can apply also to smaller collections with several drives or systems with few RAM.
Is it because 'great strides' implies that it wasn't perfect before? Recognizing and admitting imperfection is a prerequisite for perfecting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up