INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to separate MP3's from FLAC and Wav  (Read 721 times)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
Need to separate MP3's from FLAC and Wav
« on: December 16, 2020, 11:00:42 am »

Hi Guys,
Having posted a few questions and started my library data entry in a more concise manner, I am very happy where I have got to, 922 albums (FLAC & WAV) entered with correct metadata and all working as it should (I think). If I decide to rip my physical cd collection, it may add another 3,000 plus to that total.........arghhh!

Now I have some 400 MP3 compilation albums to enter. There are no duplicated albums from the FLAC and WAV library so there would be no issue if all album formats were contained in the same library.
I keep my MP3's just for casual listening, in my workshop and for parties etc.
I have read about the panes view and other 'tweaks' that can be done to 'separate' the format views, these, I believe, are all viewable within the PC desktop environment.
Unfortunately my Audio Cambridge StreamMagic app (used on my CXN v2)  only allows for a search on Artist and Album, not for format.

Can I create a separate MP3 library, whereby it lives alongside the main library? Then, I pre-select the library of choice at the PC, depending on whether I am listening seriously on my main hi-fi (FLAC or WAV) or casually outside. Then, having set the format through the library chosen, I can search my controller app for Artist or Album as usual.
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Regards
Andy

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need to separate MP3's from FLAC and Wav
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:55:31 pm »

That would be a bad way to do it.

You didn't say so, but since your CXN is accessing the files via DLNA, this is really a DLNA question.  If your CXN supports directly accessing an SMB or CIFS share (some Cambridge products do) you have other options.

You have ways to control what MC's DLNA server presents:
1. Inside each DLNA server configuration, there is a Customize Views setting. Inside there, for each view, there is "Set rules for file display". Use that to restrict by file type on a per view basis.

2. In Options->Media Network there is an option "Set rules for included files".  Use it to restrict the files that are available to the DLNA server at all.

Maintaining separate libraries to segregate files is generally an undesirable practice that causes a lot of extra work, and should be avoided if possible. It's like keeping your forks in the kitchen, and your spoons in the basement.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 03:07:01 pm »

Hi

I you want to identify, separate mp3 then you could just create a view, one with flac and wav and another with mp3.

Peter

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:06 am »

wer's 2 options are the correct answers.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 10:05:54 pm »

Can the CA StreamMagic browse by folder name? I don't have a  StreamMagic, but my library for normal DLNA is separated into 2 folders under my root folder for the music. One is "Music" for all mp23 & m4a files, and the other is "HD Music" all my FLAC files. In the JRiver app library they appear side by side in albums views or you can have whatever custom views you like. If I want to separate them I look via generic DLNA it can be done via folder?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up