INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the fields shown in columns.. for good  (Read 533 times)

shig.frag

• Recent member
Changing the fields shown in columns.. for good
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:21:01 pm »

Hi there. I am new to jriver and have worked out how to do most things, but a couple things have me stumped. One issue I'm having is that I would like my audio files to show name, artist, album, year, track number, duration, bitrate, file type, and date modified. I am of course able to get it to show just those columns, but it doesn't stay that way. After close and come back in to the program, it is back to the default columns. I'm sure there must be a way to save and keep it from reverting, but I'm not seeing it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing the fileds shown in columns.. for good
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »

That reads like the complaint of someone who is running in Client/Server mode, but doesn't mention that crucial fact.  Which is seen a lot, surprisingly.

Those people are told to change the view using the copy of MC on the server instead of on the client.

shig.frag

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:04:53 pm »

That reads like the complaint of someone who is running in Client/Server mode, but doesn't mention that crucial fact.  Which is seen a lot, surprisingly.

Those people are told to change the view using the copy of MC on the server instead of on the client.
\
Wasn't so much a complaint as it was just an explanation of what I am having an issue with.. Anyhow, I don't know if I am in that mode or how to tell if I am, so no I didn't mention it because I didn;t even know it was a possibility. I'm not sure I can do what you are suggesting. I mean, as far as I know there is only one copy of media center here. Could you possibly tell me how to check if I am in the client server mode you mentioned and maybe I/ we can go from there? Thanks.

wer

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 01:25:37 pm »

I can't imagine how you would be in client server mode without knowing it, as two pcs are required.

Maybe your view is locked. Try right clicking on the name of the view on the tree and select customize view. Go to advanced and ensure lock view is not checked.

shig.frag

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 11:28:00 pm »

I can't imagine how you would be in client server mode without knowing it, as two pcs are required.

Maybe your view is locked. Try right clicking on the name of the view on the tree and select customize view. Go to advanced and ensure lock view is not checked.

Heh, yeah, I asked my much more-knowledgeable-than-me friend about what you were saying. He said that certainly wasnt the case since I just use it on the one computer. He also said he would have waited to find out for sure that I was leaving out a "crucial fact" and  after that, would have taken the condescending tone toward me. Ha. Well anyway, THANK-YOU!! Un-checking locked view was the fix I probably would have never found if you hadn't pointed the way!

wer

Re: Changing the fields shown in columns.. for good
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 11:31:55 pm »

No problem, glad you're sorted out.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:06:20 am »

I will note: This really isn't the confused users' faults, as much as it annoys us here on the forum since we end up having to answer the same question over and over and over.

It happens because the program lets you do it and that is confusing. Heck, it has even bitten me here and there when I didn't realize I was using the copy of MC locally on my computer and not the one open on the server via AnyDesk.

MC knows it is connected to a remote Library Server. It also knows you are modifying a View. There are rules about what you can and cannot modify when connected to a Library Server (it isn't, like, random).

Therefore, MC could... You know, stop you or warn you. When you open the Edit View dialog, if you are connected to a Library Server, it could say something like: "Hey dummy, this will let you change it but it won't save. To save it, you have to change it on the server!" Or maybe just disable the options that don't work entirely, like they do RMCF (which annoys me because I want RMCF to work, but until it does, it is best that it knows that it doesn't work and doesn't let you try).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 12:11:53 pm »

All true. Although since it happens so often, and thus results in so many threads, a simple google search reveals the limitation. But a lot of users don't try google.

It doesn't help that, although the limitation is documented in the wiki, it is buried in a page about Library Server Sync.  It would be better if the limitation of client server mode wer spelled out in big bold letters at the top of the article on client server mode, in addition to a gui warning.

I've often wondered why the forums don't have a conspicuous FAQ, since there are some questions that are so absurdly frequent.

rec head

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 12:40:18 pm »

I agree that a search is a good place to start but I've been using MC since v18 and still don't have all the terminology correct. Searches don't work until a more experienced user tells me what I should be searching for.

wer

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 01:03:48 pm »

Searches work a lot of the time. Moreover, learning to vary your search terms in google is an essential skill for anyone trying to find anything online. If you do a google search, for anything, and you get no hits, your conclusion should not be "Clearly I am the first person in the history of the world to ask this question!"  Instead, your assumption should be "I should use different words, as someone must have asked this before." Trying a few times to get a good result is a reasonable thing to do.

Even if you were at the point where you felt you knew the terminology, there would still be variations. I don't always use the same term as Glynor, who doesn't always use the same term as Roderick, who doesn't always use the same term as Marko.  That's why learning to massage google a bit is so essential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up