INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Libraries (different ports?)  (Read 538 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multiple Libraries (different ports?)
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:57:40 pm »

I have a quick question before I try something.  My dad is in the process of moving and laments having to pack up his stereo and JRiver media server and put it all in storage for a few months.  His media is all backed up to Google Drive.  I thought perhaps I could take a backup of his library, host it on my Linux server and he could at least use JRemote to access his music.  I could use rclone to mount his Google Drive media files locally to my Linux server.  I'd need to run it on a different port to not conflict with my library.  In my mind, he should be able to move his library control to the cloud pretty easily.

Is there a good method to do this?  Does this sound possible?

wer

Re: Multiple Libraries (different ports?)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:19:04 pm »

If I understand you correctly, you want to simultaneously serve two different libraries from the same PC.

You already realize you need to ensure the ports don't conflict and paths to media files match what's in the library.

There are two ways you should be able to do this:

1. Run a second copy of MC in a VM

2. Run two versions of MC (like 26 & 27)

If you have multiple instances of MC27 on the same machine (excluding a VM) they will still share some resources.  But different versions of MC can coexist; this happens normally after a major version upgrade. So run your father's library under an instance of MC26, while yours is MC27.

#1 provides complete isolation, but #2 will probably suffice.

I don't run MC on linux so I haven't tested this out, but I'm not aware of any reason why it couldn't work. It can be done like this on Windows.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Multiple Libraries (different ports?)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 01:58:35 pm »

Ok.  I was thinking I'd put it on my Linux server, but I do have VirtualBox already installed on my Windows PC running my primary JRiver instance.  That may be the easier approach.  Thanks for the thought!
Pages: [1]   Go Up