INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart Playlist based on total encoded size.  (Read 284 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Smart Playlist based on total encoded size.
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:05:30 pm »

I need to make a smart list so it can select the maximum number of encoded files that will fit on external media (i.e. USB stick). For example, my original audio files are in flac or ape format. When I transfer them to external media they are converted to mp3 files. It is possible to create a smart list that will somehow fill up the external media devices? Or do I just pick a boatload and let it stop when there is no more room to write to the stick?

Thanks!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smart Playlist based on total encoded size.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:24 pm »

What's wrong with the capacity management in the Handheld Sync functionality?

If you insist on using a smartlist, you can do it if you know the size conversion factor ahead of time, which only works accurately for CBR conversions.  Choose your bitrate, divide your storage capacity by the bitrate to get the time, and then use the "limit time to" modifer of the smartlist to plug in that value. 

If the goal is to fill the stick, this seems like a pointless exercise. Limit in the smartlist or limit during sync; what's the difference?

Have fun.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Re: Smart Playlist based on total encoded size.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 02:35:25 pm »

What's wrong with the capacity management in the Handheld Sync functionality?

If you insist on using a smartlist, you can do it if you know the size conversion factor ahead of time, which only works accurately for CBR conversions.  Choose your bitrate, divide your storage capacity by the bitrate to get the time, and then use the "limit time to" modifer of the smartlist to plug in that value. 

If the goal is to fill the stick, this seems like a pointless exercise. Limit in the smartlist or limit during sync; what's the difference?

Have fun.

I looked for "handheld capacity management" under the options for the device. Also checked the wiki but can't find any reference to those settings. That would do it instead of monkeying with a smart list. Would you mind pointing me to where those settings are?
Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up