INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename/move files broke for me  (Read 396 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Rename/move files broke for me
« on: January 07, 2021, 03:47:23 pm »

I have expanded to TWO different NAS boxes for my media.
Due to this, I removed the value from the BASE PATH part of the rename/move/copy files section, which previously looked like \\NAS1.
I set up the renaming rule to address whether different file types would be renamed to \\NAS1 or \\NAS2.
I renamed an album worth of audio files.  The preview of the change showed correct, but the files didn't move to the desired folder, and then the entries in JRiver show as 'file missing'.

Is there a more correct way to handle the base path setting when it won't be the same for every file type?

wer

Re: Rename/move files broke for me
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 04:26:57 pm »

If you're sure the preview showed correctly, but the files didn't move, I would have to guess permissions error.

A couple of other thoughts:

Did you leave the directories section active (checked) when you removed the base path entry?  I wouldn't do that...

Did the files move elsewhere other than intended, or were they deleted, or did they remain in place but MC lost track of them?  You need to clarify that.

Couldn't say much more without screenshots or a video.

For this type of operation though, what I would do is segregate my files in a view, by whatever criteria, then select the target files and use RMCF to do a search and replace on the filename, with the oher sections disabled.  Especially if I were doing a lot of files, I wouldn't want to do too many different things at once.  For example, I would break moving them to a different NAS vs restructuring names by tags into two steps.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 04:43:27 pm »

Another possibility: did you select "Update database to point to a new location", which is the default?
That option only changes the paths in the DB but doesn't actually copy/move anything - you have to it manually.

To have MC move the files for you, you need to select "copy and update database to point to a new location".
(or is it the "rename" option? Wer to confirm, as I've never used this tool)

wer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 05:21:37 pm »

You have to select the "rename" or one of the copy options to actually effectuate the path changes on the file.  In this case, since he wanted to move, it would be the rename option Zybex. But I assumed zxsix picked that option correctly because he's an experienced user.

But if the files in fact went nowhere and MC then showed broken links, then choosing the update database option would be consistent with what he's describing. All he said was they didn't go where he wanted, but I'm still waiting to hear if they went anywhere at all.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:17:13 pm »

If you're sure the preview showed correctly, but the files didn't move, I would have to guess permissions error.

A couple of other thoughts:

Did you leave the directories section active (checked) when you removed the base path entry?  I wouldn't do that...

Yes, because the directories section is needed to specify how and where the folders get moved to...their final home.  They need to be moved from the temporary spot on the Windows 10 disk over to the appropriate subfolder on the appropriate NAS.
Did the files move elsewhere other than intended, or were they deleted, or did they remain in place but MC lost track of them?  You need to clarify that.
They didn't go anywhere else.  They are still in the temp folder that I tried to rename them from.  I also enabled logging in MC and upon reviewing the log, it shows the audio files being imported, it shows thumbnails being built, but it shows nada about files being renamed.  I think it doesn't like not having a root folder setting and just aborted without trying, though it still updated the file path in the MC database, which is now orphaned.

This has worked properly for years.  It only broke after I expanded my storage and can no longer have a single root location that works for all media types.

I can rule out file permissions and file locks since I can move the files by hand using Windows explorer.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:23:05 pm »

Another possibility: did you select "Update database to point to a new location", which is the default?
That option only changes the paths in the DB but doesn't actually copy/move anything - you have to it manually.

BINGO!  Thanks for directing my attention there.  I had switched to that option to get my video files pointed at the new NAS2 but then forgot to toggle it back to the original MOVE setting after I got done working on adjusting the folder rules.
Solved and happy.  I knew I had overlooked something.

wer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 07:30:16 pm »

But I assumed zxsix picked that option correctly because he's an experienced user.

Well that'll teach me...   :)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:24:27 pm »

:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up