INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VST plugins – how to control channels on multichannel DAC?  (Read 1503 times)

skjenzen

• Recent member
VST plugins – how to control channels on multichannel DAC?
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:02:11 pm »

I love JRiver for the flexibility and many options to customize on my own. However, I have run into problems wanting to use third party VST plugins like Reaper EQ  for audio on my multichannel DAC. Control of DSP application to each channel is essential because XO between speaker units is software based on the PC. How do I control which channels the plugin is applied to?
I have succesfully used Jrivers native support of VST convolver to create XO and other DSP. The same goes for Jrivers built-in DSP filters. Does a similar way of specifying channels exist when loading a VST plugin?
Thanks in advance.
Source: PC, DSP XO in JRiver + PLLXO, DAC: Motu 1248
Amplifiers: First One M (6 channels - DIY)
Speaker: Dayton AMT4PRO/Monacor CTC DIY

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: VST plugins – how to control channels on multichannel DAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 02:19:20 pm »

The plugin can see all channels. It is up to the plugin what to do with the data. If you want to separately EQ each channel, your plugin must be able to separately eq each channel.

skjenzen

• Recent member
Re: VST plugins – how to control channels on multichannel DAC?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:17:00 am »

Thanks for the reply. So there is no way in JRiver to specify a channel to be treated with DSP and then route the result to a channel. Al this should be done inside the plugin.
That means for example (in my understandig) that to apply a software plugin as crossover, I would have to load the plugin and specify input- og output channels in the plugin. Most plugins for this purpose only support up to 2 channels. So what is the smart method of using such a plugin on a 3 way stereo system  with 6 channels in total?
Maybe a solution could be to save the plugin 3 different places on the pc with different settings for bass, mid and treble. From DSP Studio the plugin is activated 3 times so each channel gets the desired treatment. Or can someone come up with a better way?
Source: PC, DSP XO in JRiver + PLLXO, DAC: Motu 1248
Amplifiers: First One M (6 channels - DIY)
Speaker: Dayton AMT4PRO/Monacor CTC DIY
Pages: [1]   Go Up