INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dealing with incomplete albums missing just 1 or 2 tracks  (Read 1170 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Dealing with incomplete albums missing just 1 or 2 tracks
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:51:44 am »

Is there a way to play "complete albums" OR "incomplete albums that are missing just a few tracks"?
Or maybe just "incomplete albums that have at least 8 tracks"?

The GroupCount(Track #) gives me the number of tracks so I'm almost there, but I can't finish. The expression: if(GroupCount(Track #)=8, yes, no) didn't work when I tried it in a column.

I'm not averse to creating (yet another) custom field for "almost complete albums" if I can figure out what the calculated data would be.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

wer

Re: Dealing with incomplete albums missing just 1 or 2 tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 01:05:53 am »

Groupcount(track #)=8 isn't proper syntax in the expression language.

Take a look at the Compare() function.

Wheaten

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 10:44:28 am »

NOt exactly sure what you trying to do, but can't you use the rule logic that is already available in the smartlist?
Complete Album is False?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 10:54:45 am »

NOt exactly sure what you trying to do, but can't you use the rule logic that is already available in the smartlist?
Complete Album is False?

Most of my album oriented view schemes include Album Complete, so we end up listening to those a lot. But I have so many albums that are missing just one or two tracks that never make it those schemes. I don't want to use Album Complete False because then I end up with a bunch of 1 or 2 track albums.  So I want a "good enough" type thing. I really don't mind if a 28 track album is missing one track! 
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Wheaten

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 02:22:53 pm »

Can't you just add a search list to your view, with the rule Total Tracks -> Is greater than -> 8?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:14 pm »

Can't you just add a search list to your view, with the rule Total Tracks -> Is greater than -> 8?

I didn't even notice that Total Tracks was an item to be used in the rules!  Alas, it doesn't work as expected. I have only two rules: Album is not complete, and Number of Tracks is equal to or greater than 8.  Not working. I have more than 50 albums that meet the criteria, but it is only displaying around 8, and some have just one track.  So maybe Total Tracks doesn't mean what I think it means.

Wheaten

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 02:52:07 pm »

You have put the search list on top?  I can't test the incomplete album part as I don't have any incomplete albums.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 03:30:28 pm »

Wer did try to push you to learn the correct syntax... you could play around with Zelda :)
Code: [Select]
if(compare(GroupCount(Track #),>=,8), yes, no)
I can't test the incomplete album part as I don't have any incomplete albums.
That's easily fixed with the DEL key ;D

Wheaten

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 03:44:09 pm »

Wer did try to push you to learn the correct syntax... you could play around with Zelda :)
if(compare(GroupCount(Track #),>=,8), yes, no)That's easily fixed with the DEL key ;D

:o

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 04:00:02 pm »

Isn't groupcount() wrong function though. Haven't use these much as they can be terrible slow but shouldn't it be
Compare(GroupCountQuery(Album,Track #),>=,8)To count tracks of an album and if it is >=8 return true ie 1

So  pseudo code I guess you wanted to create a view which shows
Full album OR tracks >= 8 )

So something like this:
(
  Complete Album = 1
  OR
  [=Compare(GroupCountQuery(Album,Track #),>=,8)]=1
)
E: fixed after Zybex review :D

untested "cheat mode activated" attachment included

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 04:09:07 pm »

Yes, most likely. I don't play much with group functions either, they're finicky. I can't get something simple to work, such as:
GroupCountQuery(year, name)

Shouldn't this tell me how many different titles there are for a given year? This always returns 0 for me.

PS: Is there an extra "1" at the end of your expression? 1]=1
PS2: No need to test for Complete Album = 0

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 04:17:34 pm »

I can't get something simple to work, such as:
GroupCountQuery(year, name)
Shouldn't this tell me how many different titles there are for a given year? This always returns 0 for me.
Oh crap.. just inserted this to my all audio view... why on earth people can do such stupid things...
PS: Is there an extra "1" at the end of your expression? 1]=1
I think it might be needed when doing truth comparisons with view rules, not sure though  ;D
PS2: No need to test for Complete Album = 0
Right

Wheaten

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 04:59:08 pm »

This one is doing the trick, however because of the functions within is shows empty tags when condition is not met. If met it will display the Album name.
No clue how to remove the entries of the empty ones.
if(and(If(Compare([Complete Album, 1], =,1),, 1),Compare(GroupCountQuery(Album,Track #),>=,8)),[Album, 1],)

Euh Zybex, How do i get my files back? Followed your suggestion with that DEL key......

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 05:07:07 pm »

I think you need an OR there, not AND:
if(or([Complete Album],Compare(GroupCountQuery(Album,Track #),>=,8)),[Album],)
This is meant to be used as a filter expression, so actually you can try this on MC's Search/filter box:
[=or([Complete Album],Compare(GroupCountQuery(Album,Track #),>=,8))]=1or using Lise's suggestion (untested):
[=or([Complete Album],Compare(GroupCount(Track #),>=,8))]=1
I hope you're joking about the DEL :) If not, you need to run the Import tool to get them back.

Wheaten

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 05:16:24 pm »

Well the tweaking is for Lise to sort out.

Even though i am using JRiver for 10 years, never noticed the possibilities within the views.

And yes it was a joke. Used an old directory to test.  ;D

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 07:24:39 pm »

Thanks to everyone.  I'm still not done, but I've tried most of the suggestions here and some are so intensive that they crashed MC. So yeah, the Group thing probably isn't the way to go.

I've spent the last few hours looking through the archives, and among the many suggestions (that didn't work) I found this from v19: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122370.msg846884.html#msg846884

ItemCount(albumkey/(/))
How many tracks are on a single album

And it works, but for one thing: My calculated field will not save Integer as data type. It just keeps switching back to String.

I need it to be Integer so that I can use it in rules:  Temp is equal to or greater than 8.  (And unless the procedure has changed recently, I did it the correct way, by first enabling Data, doing my thing, and then selecting Calculated.)

I read something about issues with calculated fields and integers in the last few hours, but it wasn't something that I saved. Does anyone know off hand what the issue is?

wer

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 07:47:45 pm »

And it works, but for one thing: My calculated field will not save Integer as data type. It just keeps switching back to String.

You've forgotten what I taught you back in December about data type casting.

Put this at the end of your calculated field definition:
&datatype=[integer]

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 07:53:07 pm »

You've forgotten what I taught you back in December about data type casting.

Put this at the end of your calculated field definition:
&datatype=[integer]

Right. Thanks. I guess the old way of doing it doesn't work anymore.

wer

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 08:36:48 pm »

You mean selecting with the data type combobox? That works for regular fields, but I don't remember that ever working for calculated data fields; all those options are disabled for calculated data.

Glad you're all sorted out...

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 08:39:06 pm »

You mean selecting with the data type combobox? That works for regular fields, but I don't remember that ever working for calculated data fields; all those options are disabled for calculated data.

Yeah. You used to have to enable the data stuff first THEN select Calculated data, and your data fields would be remembered. 

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 01:55:26 am »

Thanks to everyone.  I'm still not done, but I've tried most of the suggestions here and some are so intensive that they crashed MC. So yeah, the Group thing probably isn't the way to go.
I usually do thing like this with global variables because as they are WAY more quicker than those using group functions and won't slow down view after it is refreshed. There is a small learning curve though as wer likes to say  ;D

So in your case I'd calculate total existing track count to a variable and then compare it against that 8 to filter the results.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 03:20:07 am »

the groupcount/summary calcs are interesting and the syntax is very nice.  if you assign them to a custom field, the calculation is only done when you call the field.  don't use them in a view, you'll crash MC regularly.

[tracksfield]=groupsummaryquery(album;album artist /(auto/);Catalog #,Track #,1)
[Total Tracks] = [tracksfield]

now you can calculate on total tracks without any slowdown whatsoever.  variables work much faster in a view, but are impossibly inelegant.  it's a tradeoff for how you want to use the calculated data, or how often you might do some calculations.  i guess i'm posting this as i think the variables system should die in favour of these functional expressions, but there needs to be massive speed improvements first...

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 04:27:20 am »

Variables are easy and readable when they are not tied to fields (in this case they are)

In case someone is interested how this can be done with variables the filtering rules to get albums with more than 7 track would be something like this (All custom filter):

INIT VARIABLE:
[=Save(0, v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])1]=1ADD TRACKS TO COUNT:
[=Save(Math(1 + Load(v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])), v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])1]=1COMPARE:
[=Compare(Load(v_TrackCount[Album Artist (Auto)][Album]),>=,8)]=1

And the whole shebang including complete albums as import script
-[Album]=[] [Media Type]=[Audio] [=Save(0, v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])1]=1 [=Save(Math(1 + Load(v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])), v_TrackCount[Album Artist (auto)][Album])1]=1 ([Complete Album]=1 or [=Compare(Load(v_TrackCount[Album Artist (Auto)][Album]),>=,8)]=1)

There might be errors as I just typed it in here
Pages: [1]   Go Up