INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones problem - used to work, now it doesn't  (Read 476 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Zones problem - used to work, now it doesn't
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:41:19 am »

I have two zones for two different sound systems (both on my desk).

HK STUDIO 2 ZONE (which is never used for music and can probably be deleted)
SCHIIT ZONE (which is for a Schiit Jotunheim the feeds headphones and studio monitors. The output device is Schiit USB Audio Gen 2 [WASAPI]

That's all been working brilliantly for the last 8 months since setting them up.

Today I added a third zone for a new amp I have taken delivery of:
ARCHE ZONE

I configured it as a copy from the SCHIIT ZONE and then changed the output device to be the
FOCAL ARCHE Audio 2.0 [WASAPI]

and it works fine.

However, without changing anything (to my knowledge) the SCHIIT ZONE no longer works ("Something went wrong with playback")
and I get the same error for the HK Studio zone as well (which, for all I know, could have been waiting to happen for a long time - never used now).

I don't really care about the HK zone, but what could have happened to the SCHIIT ZONE? (which finally seems to be appropriately named  ;D )

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Zones problem - used to work, now it doesn't
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:23:06 am »

Now, having changed nothing at all, no zones work.That seemed to be because the Arche needed the track to be stopped and re-started, but the SCHIIT ZONE still doesn't work.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:38:55 pm »

Could you have inadvertently linked zones?

Or check that the zone that is not working is connected to the correct audio device under Options> Audio

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 01:00:44 am »

Could you have inadvertently linked zones?

Or check that the zone that is not working is connected to the correct audio device under Options> Audio
I don't know anything about linking zones. I thought they were individual things.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 04:38:06 am »

Are the two zones both local devices being fed by the same sound card/motherboard or are they separate network/DLNA devices with separate IP addresses?

If being fed by the same sound device on the PC (and not DLNA) then JRiver by default uses the sound device exclusively. Meaning if you stop one track the sound device is released for some other zone (device not driver). If you only pause the track in eg. SCIIT zone then ARCHE cannot access the sound device, until you stop the track. I have 2 devices off the same motherboard sound device where this occurs. It can be changed to non-exlcusive but the quality is compromised.

On top of this Windows does not do a very elegant job of letting you assign different Programs to different sound devices. There are some simple 3rd party utilities around that overcome this - although this may be a separate issue and not the one you had. Hard to tell from your description.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 03:02:06 pm »

Thank you both for your replies.

It is two devices coming off the same card. I'll have to test again to see if I had not stopped the track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up