INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting library with volume levelling applied  (Read 347 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Converting library with volume levelling applied
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:27:10 am »

Hi,

Hoe someone wille help me clear up the following question:
If I convert all albums in my library (to FLAC) and apply volume levelling, will JRiver then apply the correction by album or by file?

Best regards,
Mikkel

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Converting library with volume levelling applied
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:08:47 am »

Volume leveling is by file and the file tag "Waveform" I believe is the info used by the volume leveling function to adjust. Volume leveling has nothing to do with the format of your files, the tag is analysed and stored for each file regardless of the format. There was a related conversation a little while ago on how much this tag information takes up. Your library files and back up will grow as more tracks are analysed and updated. nothing really of concern by today's standards but it does happen.

There is no point taking an lossy file like mp3, m4a, aac and converting them to FLAC. If you are ripping CD (*.CDA) or converting from some other lossless source to FLAC fine... When I rip CDs which I am about to do I go from CDA (Lossless uncompressed) to FLAC (lossless compressed). Never lossy to lossless.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 06:06:13 am »

The leveling info is stored on the "Dynamic Range (R128)" and "Peak Level (R128)" fields. The Waveform data/field is not needed for leveling, it's just for eye candy while playing a track.
R128 is calculated by track, making sure all tracks across all albums are normalized to the same loudness level.

David is right about the compressed/uncompressed conversions, there's no point in converting MP3 (lossy) to FLAC. When you rip a CD you typically create WAV (uncompressed) or FLAC (lossless compression).

Just a note though: the CDA file is actually just a shortcut to the actual audio data on the CD, which is PCM format. The CDA file is not even on the CD, it's just shown by windows as shortcuts to the audio tracks.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:17 am »

I believe it depends on whether you are playing an album or a playlist. Playing an album maintains the relative levels of the tracks in the album.  Playing tracks in a playlist adjusts all tracks to the same level.

Click on Volume Leveling in DSP Studio for a brief description.

Also,

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=post;quote=635655;topic=92321.0;last_msg=635982

Pages: [1]   Go Up