INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All songs are the artists name after Big Sur upgrade  (Read 663 times)

jmrdc

• World Citizen
All songs are the artists name after Big Sur upgrade
« on: January 23, 2021, 10:26:43 pm »

Hi,
I upgraded my OS to Big Sur and since then, I've noticed one artist's songs are all his name rather than the title of the song.  I've tried library update tag and update library with no luck.  All of the files still have the names of the songs, but isn't reflected in the tag.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
Re: All songs are the artists name after Big Sur upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 08:03:25 am »

I guess my question would be, is there a way to automatically fix this in MC since the filenames contain all the accurate information?  Or, do I just need to roll up my sleeves and retag all of the files manually?

Thanks
J

Wheaten

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 08:13:13 am »

If you rightclick on the files (or F12) you can tag from filename.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 08:15:24 am »

Make sure you're running the latest MC build, 27.0.59. There was a recent bug causing some tags to be displayed wrong, but the tag value was still correct.

You can also try "Library Tools->Update Library (from tags)", which reloads the saved tags from the actual file tag.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:19:39 pm »

Zybex,
To no avail. Upgraded to 27.0.58, as it was the only new build I could find.  Installed the new build and did a restart, used your suggestion "Library Tools -> Update Library (from tags)," and it said "122 files processed (0 failures)."  Still no change.  Any other ideas other than the full nuclear option (manually tagging all files)?

J

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 03:35:57 am »

You can use Wheaten suggestion - select the files and press F12 to open the "File Properties from Filename" tool.
Select "Template" mode, check the "Filename" box, and type " [Name]" as the expression (note the space). Also check the "clean results" checkbox.
Check the preview results on the right side and click OK to apply.

This assumes all your filenames are like the screenshot you sent above. The expression extracts whatever comes after the first space as the Name.

wer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 04:16:25 am »

The fix is in 59, not 58. 59 hasn't been publicly released yet, so just wait a bit.

I'm not sure that's your problem though.  If you can "fix" one file by changing the tag, that's not the bug Zybex was talking about.

I would suggest looking in the Tag Dump to see what is actually in your files.  I wonder if you had updated info in MC that was never written to the files, and then refreshing from the files would have ruined the data in MC.

If tag dump shows the data in the files is bad, then make sure "save in file tags" is turned on for the important fields, and correct your tags, using the fill properties from filename approach as they told you.

But again, you need to make sure the actual tag data in the files is either correct, or gets corrected. Relying on the filename is bad.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:13:39 am »

I would suggest looking in the Tag Dump to see what is actually in your files.  I wonder if you had updated info in MC that was never written to the files, and then refreshing from the files would have ruined the data in MC.

Tag Dump?  How do I view this?

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 09:35:04 am »

The tag dump shows exactly what is being displayed in the finder window - ie, the name of the song is still the artist's name, not the title of the song.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 10:16:05 am »

That means the wrong value is actually written to the file.
So you'll need to fix it, either manually, or using the F12 tool as described above.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:44 am »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up