INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Number of Plays, is this correct behavior  (Read 643 times)

rbmjr

• World Citizen
Number of Plays, is this correct behavior
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:27:16 pm »

Had just downloaded the latest free tracks from Relix.com and was rating and tagging them as they played and I noticed that all of these songs started out as "never played" and as soon as they started playing they received a "Number Plays" of 1. When the song finished playing they received a "Number Plays" of 2. I would have thought that "Number Plays" should only change once the song had played in its entirety. And if it was skipped that the song status would remain "never played" with a "Number Plays" remaining blank or 0. The tracks highlighted in red didn't interest me and were skipped after a few seconds of play. For those songs their "Number Plays" remained 1 even though they weren't completely played however the "Skip Count" correctly increased to "1". Isn't it more appropriate that "Never Played" songs return to "Never Played" and the "Number Plays" return to "blank" or "zero" when skipped and the "Number Plays" should only increase once the song has played in its entirety? Is this how it's supposed to work?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Number of Plays, is this correct behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:40:34 pm »

Is this how it's supposed to work?
No.

If a track is stopped or skipped before it is more than 50% played, it is considered 'skipped' and those fields are updated accordingly.
If a track plays in its entirety, or, is stopped or skipped with more than 50% played, it is considered 'played'.

I cannot reproduce the behaviour you describe. any tips?

-marko

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:09:25 am »

I am baffled by the Number Play counts for never played songs. I have a few remaining never played songs that I will review and rate today after I reboot my PC to see if that has any effect (doubt it does, but have to start somewhere)

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 08:58:33 am »

No.

If a track is stopped or skipped before it is more than 50% played, it is considered 'skipped' and those fields are updated accordingly.
If a track plays in its entirety, or, is stopped or skipped with more than 50% played, it is considered 'played'.

I cannot reproduce the behaviour you describe. any tips?

-marko

Any time the MC zone uses DLNA the play count increases by one when playback starts, and again by one when it ends. So if you listen to the complete track your number of plays increases by two.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:42:32 am »

Any time the MC zone uses DLNA the play count increases by one when playback starts, and again by one when it ends. So if you listen to the complete track your number of plays increases by two.

That doesn't make any sense.  Not saying it's false.

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 02:46:30 pm »

Is incrementing the "Number Plays" when the file is sent to the renderer based on the assumption that [old or incorrectly coded?] DLNA renderers may not report back that song playback has completed? Seems like a check box is needed to enable or disable the automatic incrementing of "Number Plays" upon sending the file to the renderer given the behavior of ones DLNA device. So, let me see if I understand this correctly, since I send 99% of my music to a DLNA renderer and 95% of the songs are fully played therefor my "Number Plays" is nearly twice what it should be?
Pages: [1]   Go Up