INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Controls?  (Read 1153 times)

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
Remote Controls?
« on: April 08, 2003, 08:43:45 pm »

First off - great freakin' app - slams wm9 and musicmatch!

I was curious if it was possible to configure any remote controls to work with MC (using beta 9)?  Like maybe a Creative RM-900 (audigy) or even a Sony?

thanks

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
Re: Remote Controls?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 08:50:30 pm »

when in doubt read the instructions post... d'oh - most cool

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 05:36:31 am »

Sure.  You'll want to snag Girder (www.girder.nl) and the MC configuration for Girder. (anyone have the link to this?)

To use a Sony or other IR remote, you'll need an IR reciever.  IRMan is one.  There are lots others.  They cost around $20 - $40.

It's a little bit of a bear to setup Girder, but it's pretty nice once it's done.  I use a universal Sony remote to control the Media Center PC I have hooked to my TV at home.

Hope that helps.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 10:47:34 am »

girder has been recommeded to me previously - i will check it out - thanks again (buying my license as i write this...)

once again, fantasic app - i only use windows on my media system and was really hunting around for an OGG library system. MC9 is that and more.

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 01:34:06 pm »

Anyone know how to setup an IR port on a laptop to act as a reciever to use with MC?
Thanks. jj.
listening to KEXP.org or 'john peel' on my stereo recorded some time last week

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 01:49:39 pm »

The instructions thread is nice and all, but here's one user that would really like a "Using a Streamzap remote with MC9 for dummies" guide.

I mean, Girder is not an easy to use program.  I've tried, and I consider myself pretty smart about these things.  I remember just getting fed up and quitting.

Anyone out there willing to mentor me and send a PM would be most kind.

Here's a good example:  I have that Streamzap that I mentioned before.  When watching TV, I'd like to just hit the "6" key, then the "0" key, then the "OK" key and be taken to channel 60.  Seemed pretty basic to me, but I just couldn't get it to work.

Anyhow, that's just my $.02... simplicity would be welcomed warmly on my system.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 04:07:49 pm »

The instructions thread is nice and all, but here's one user that would really like a "Using a Streamzap remote with MC9 for dummies" guide.

Well, I think the main part of the problem (as a former StreamZap user) is that StreamZap is very slow to support new applications & features.

Because of its closed driver system, you are limited to what functions SZ deems supported with MC/MJ. I tried to circumvent that by using Girder with the SZ, but found that only the 30-some-odd buttons on the SZ remote could be "Girder-ized". I finally got fed up with waiting for SZ to support "Universal Remotes" (ie. any IR signal), and jumped ship to the USB-UIRT remote transceiver.

Do you have any specific questions? Like I alluded to above, I don't think the SZ software supports the TV functions of MC yet.

Best,
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up