INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist puzzle  (Read 753 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Smartlist puzzle
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:56:11 am »

Hi everyone,

Could someone help me on this smartlist I want to make?

I've got multiple year lists of our hitparade, called '1965 Jaarlijst' to '2020 Jaarlijst'.
I want the smartlist to pick a random list of those 56 lists and then play only the first 25 (sequence number) of that list.

Hope this explanation makes sense to you.

How would I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: Smartlist puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:49:35 am »

Assuming you want 25 tracks, not 25 albums:

Rules:
- Album - Contains - Jaarlijst     (if Album doesn't contain the word, pick some other field or criteria)

Modify:
- Shuffle
- Limit Number to - 25

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:47:21 am »

Thank you, Zybex, for helping me out. But I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough with what I meant. It's got nothing to do with albums, but only with tracks AND I'm talking about playlists.

In fact the smartlist should be something like this: Playlist - contains - 'weeklijst'
Limit number -25 but they should be the first 25 of that playlist.

Problem with the first line is: when you choose 'playlist' you don't have the option 'contains' in the next field.

Hope you or someone else can help me further with it.
Mark Coutinho

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:53:18 am »

Problem with the first line is: when you choose 'playlist' you don't have the option 'contains' in the next field.
Use the custom rule: p="weeklijst"

The difficulty comes from trying to pick a random playlist, and then, assuming you achieve that, maintaining the [seq] of that playlist...

I'm not sure that this will be possible.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:41:48 pm »

Yep, not sure if that's possible. It did a quick test and it looks like the [PlayLists] field is not even available to use in expressions.

It it were we could perhaps create an expression to pick files belonging to a random playlist (using ListItem and Rand). But even if that worked, the files would probably not be listed in the same order as the playlist content.

This gives me an idea for a mini-script/tool: Playlist generation/update on the fly, just run the script  ;) This is not hard to do... @jmone? ;D

wer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 12:51:10 pm »

You might be able to rig something up using FilePlaylists() and global variables.

I have not tried it, since I don't collect Top40 playlists. I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Wheaten

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:53:33 pm »

Hi Mark,

As I don't have these top 100 albums, I did a test with the 538 Hitzone CD's.
From the 100 albums, I take random 1 album and in my case take 10 tracks of them.
Is this what you mean?

pic1:

And if you want the first x tracks of that album add:

pic2:

And if you don't want the songs sorted as 1,2,3....., you can add a 2nd shuffle after the "Limit number to"

And with playlists, you can use the same logic if you place your "jaarlijsten" in a playlist Group.
Than you can select this group as starting Rule.
Playlists -> is any -> select playlist group.

In my playlist group POP, I've smartlist for every decade starting at 1960

pic3:

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 03:25:21 am »

Wheaten, great solution!

That image hosting site you use doesn't seem to like referrals from 3rd party sites. Images stop showing up after a short time unless they're cached on the browser. Consider using a different host.

wer

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 04:15:19 am »

Wheaten, great solution!

Except that isn't what the OP wants. If there are 10 playlists in the group, named PL1..PL10, and the song randomly selected happens to be from PL6, he wants the top 25 songs from PL6 and only PL6.  Wheaton's method doesn't do that at all. Sorry.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 08:28:01 am »

Hi Mark,

As I don't have these top 100 albums, I did a test with the 538 Hitzone CD's.
From the 100 albums, I take random 1 album and in my case take 10 tracks of them.
Is this what you mean?

pic1:

And if you want the first x tracks of that album add:

pic2:

And if you don't want the songs sorted as 1,2,3....., you can add a 2nd shuffle after the "Limit number to"

And with playlists, you can use the same logic if you place your "jaarlijsten" in a playlist Group.
Than you can select this group as starting Rule.
Playlists -> is any -> select playlist group.

In my playlist group POP, I've smartlist for every decade starting at 1960

pic3:

Thanks for your suggestion, but this isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Because the result of your suggestion is that I get 25 songs from that upper group, but with random years.

I want to play the top 25 of a certain week of a year. (indeed: I initially asked for the yearlists, but that was to make things not too complicated. In fact I want to play week lists)

Hope this screenshot makes clear what my playlists look like. These lists go all the way down to week 2020_52, each filled with 40 songs (some 3000 playlists all together).
So what I want the smartlist to do is randomly pick one of those playlists and play the top 25 of that week.

Hope you guys are still enthusiastic in helping me out on this one!

Mark Coutinho

Wheaten

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 09:21:45 am »

Wheaten, great solution!

That image hosting site you use doesn't seem to like referrals from 3rd party sites. Images stop showing up after a short time unless they're cached on the browser. Consider using a different host.

Yeah a saw that, thought I was using the img tag wrong. moved files to different host. let's see what happens.

Wheaten

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 09:41:02 am »

How did you built your playlists?
Are they manually created over multiple albums, or do they represent they just one album?
As with the last you can add Limited (Advanced) => 1,-1,[Album],[Album Artist (auto)]

If you did the first, I run out of ideas.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 10:42:32 am »

The playlists have nothing to do with albums.
I created each manually: they are the weeklists (charts) of the Dutch Top 40 (https://www.top40.nl/top40/2021/week-4  for instance) . I make the playlist then and fill that with the 40 songs from my library as stated on that site.
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up