INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lookup for lyrics bypassing a "(feat. ***)" string  (Read 912 times)

creal

• Junior Woodchuck
Lookup for lyrics bypassing a "(feat. ***)" string
« on: February 03, 2021, 04:16:44 am »

Hello,

I'm running MC26, assuming the problem is the same on MC27.

When I hear a song, MC automatically fill metadata with lyrics, which can be shown and read in full screen. It's a very useful feature but I noticed something:

When the title of a song is not exact, in particular when follows a "(feat. ***)", the lookup for lyrics feature does not work. It's quite frustrating because a lot of music is named like that.

Is there a way to "skip" a specific string in the title to keep the lookup for lyrics feature working, please? For example, it could "skip" all info in parenthesis (ie. : (acoustic), (band version), etc.).

Thanks,

creal.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lookup for lyrics bypassing a "(feat. ***)" string
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:48 am »

You will encounter that problem with any MetaData lookup when the Track Name contains any variant of "feat. + an Artists Name". Unfortunately the only solution us to manually remove the  "feat. + Artists Name" bit from the Track Name Tag and add it to the Artist Tag.

A lot of the time you will discover that the Featured Artist info is only appended to the Track Name on the Track List on the back of the CD Case to save cost/space. The Publisher's Catalogue and most MetaData lookup sites will only have the "actual" Track Name and the featured artists information will be in the Artist Tag.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Guernsey

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Guernsey
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 07:56:42 am »

The ideal solution would be that if the auto lookup fails, right clicking brought up a search box similar to the Get Movie and TV dialog box screen.
Then you could quickly fix or remove the feat part and extra names and search just the song title but not change the song tags when the lyrics are found
Windows 11 - i7 8750H
NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ RTX 2070
1st M.2 SSD Drive   128GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 300 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive   120GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 320MB/W)
Yamaha RX-V4A AV Receiver
JRiver 20 / 21 / 22  /23 / 24 / 25 /26 / 27 / 28 / 29 / 30 / 31 / 32

creal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:24 am »

You will encounter that problem with any MetaData lookup when the Track Name contains any variant of "feat. + an Artists Name". Unfortunately the only solution us to manually remove the  "feat. + Artists Name" bit from the Track Name Tag and add it to the Artist Tag.

A lot of the time you will discover that the Featured Artist info is only appended to the Track Name on the Track List on the back of the CD Case to save cost/space. The Publisher's Catalogue and most MetaData lookup sites will only have the "actual" Track Name and the featured artists information will be in the Artist Tag.

Hello, thanks for your message. That's a pity. The idea was to not change the title tag, in order to distinguish prod/instru collabs (both artist names) from singers (feat. name).

creal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:16:15 am »

The ideal solution would be that if the auto lookup fails, right clicking brought up a search box similar to the Get Movie and TV dialog box screen.
Then you could quickly fix or remove the feat part and extra names and search just the song title but not change the song tags when the lyrics are found

Yes, that would be perfect, with a "skip strings" list in the case the user doesn't want to deal with the box.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:43:45 pm »

I think the ideal solution is on a failed lookup have MC try again but ignore brackets, both regular () and square[]. I think 30 percent of my song names have some sort of note in brackets.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 10:08:19 pm »

I think the ideal solution is on a failed lookup have MC try again but ignore brackets, both regular () and square[]. I think 30 percent of my song names have some sort of note in brackets.

Only one problem with that - The lyrics for every commercially released track are not available on any single web site, indeed some are not on any web site, so how does MC differentiate between a failure because the lyrics are not available and a failure because the track name is incorrect?
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 12:38:43 am »

Perhaps a clue, or maybe a separate lyrics problem:
Occasionally when I let JRiver MC look up lyrics, I get something like the following "garbage" either in place of lyrics or appended at the end of lyrics:

<span jsname="Bil8Ae" class="xTFaxe z1asCe SaPW2b" style="height:18px;line-height:18px;width:18px"><svg focusable="false" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewbox="0 0 24 24"><path d="M12 8c1.1 0 2-.9 2-2s-.9-2-2-2-2 .9-2 2 .9 2 2 2zm0 2c-1.1 0-2 .9-2 2s.9 2 2 2 2-.9 2-2-.9-2-2-2zm0 6c-1.1 0-2 .9-2 2s.9 2 2 2 2-.9 2-2-.9-2-2-2z"></path></svg>

repeated multiple times in the same lyrics text. This happened today on a track with (feat. ***) in the title.  I have also seen the same "garbage" inserted for lyrics on a strictly instrumental (no vocals) track with a simple two word title.

It is 100% reproducible for the problematic track, but does not occur for all tracks on the album.  My work around is to uncheck Tools > Options > General > Online Metadata > Lookup lyrics automatically...,  and in the case of missing lyrics then copy/paste from an online site.  I have also started unchecking this option as a matter of course, unless I am specifically looking for lyrics.  Otherwise it will add this garbage the next time the track is played.

JRiver MC 27.0.57 (64 bit) on Win 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up