INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuous Media access while browsing database : Problem identified  (Read 522 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

When entering Artist view in Theater Mode on my surface, the RAID gets noisy. Process Monitor shows 2054 file operations to the media files on the NAS. And this while just displaying the first page of my artist view. After scrolling one line down another 1150 operations are logged.

I did not notice that before on my desktop computer. Any background operations are disabled. So what might cause that ? Where is the difference ?

The MS surface Tablet has a 12" display with 1824x2736 pixels. By default Windows scales 200%. With MC set to scale Theater View by 125%, this is treated as 250%. It seems that in that case MC reads album covers from the media files instead of the locally stored thumbnails. At this scaling the album covers are shown at a size of 1.5". I cannot see a quality improvement from reading the medie files. The look the same when I disconnect the NAS an MC must use the local thumbnails. When reading higher resolution thumnails, MC not only does this for the covers in top of a fanned stack. It reads every Album which is grouped by an artist - for displaying the corners of a mostly hidden album cover.

Would it be worth to get an option to allow/deny media access for lists? Accesing the media file when only one file is to be shown, would be ok.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Continuous Media access while browsing database : Problem identified
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 06:17:13 am »

@Matt: A few builds ago you eliminated uneccessary media access in standard view. This was a huge advantage with large collections and sleeping drives. I found that this fix did'nt work in Theater View. Now it seems, that the same decision to read the covers from the original location  is responsible for that. 

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:38:20 am »

@rolf: You have a NAS and Clients with MC connected through Wifi/Ethernet to the NAS?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:44:55 am »

@rolf: You have a NAS and Clients with MC connected through Wifi/Ethernet to the NAS?

Yes WLAN! This runs very good. There is no delay when starting playback.
My Problem is, that MC reads thousands of files from NAS when just browsing the database. This is the same stress as when indexing or building thumbnails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up