INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED:Tagging problem  (Read 522 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
SOLVED:Tagging problem
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:52:51 pm »

I have a view which filters 19'000 files which are in a given file path.

Inside this categories view I'm grouping by 'Album (set)' which is a calculated field. If the field 'AlbumSet' is empty it returns 'Album' otherwise 'AlbumSet'

I selected ~80 albums which should belong to a set and entered a string to AlbumSet in the tag window.

Writing the tags to the media files did not end. Then I realized, that more than 35'000 files are queued for tagging.
It affects thousands of files which do not meet the filter criteria of this view.

This happened with the latest build MC 27.0..57

I killed the Mediacenter process to save my data. Now I see that many files stored in differeent locations are already manipulated. How to fix that without the risk of doing more damage ?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:38 pm »

If you're going to post something like this, you need to provide the exact steps to reproduce.  It has to be demonstrable and provable.

If you've modified your files, how to fix?
Either restore the modified files from backup, or do a library restore to a point before you made the change, and then do an "update tags from library" on the affected files to modify them back.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:40:05 pm »

I'll provide as many information as possible to protect others from this.

There are some more strange things: The popup window which asks for storing large library changes  pops up and closes itself.  Sometimes it stays open and I have to press OK.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:53:36 pm »

You have AlbumSet defined as a Relational Field, set to "Store One Value for Each Artist".

What this means is:
- all files with the same Artist will have the same AlbumSet value
- if you change the AlbumSet value for one file, ALL files with the same Artist as that file will also be changed

Since you also checked the box to "save in file tags", when you change the AlbumSet on one file, it causes ALL files that share that same Artist/AlbumSet to be updated, regardless of what files are on your current view. MC is just saving back the tag changes to all files touched by the AlbumSet change.

You should have AlbumSet defined as a non-relational field, or perhaps as a "one value per Album" which would just update all files in a given album.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 04:25:07 am »

You have AlbumSet defined as a Relational Field, set to "Store One Value for Each Artist".

What this means is:
- all files with the same Artist will have the same AlbumSet value
- if you change the AlbumSet value for one file, ALL files with the same Artist as that file will also be changed

Thanks zybex. During this night, the same I came to a similar conclusion.
I'm sorry if I panicked. Seeing something going on in my library without knowing why, was frightening me.

Meanwhile I found another drawback of my calculatete 'Album (set)' field. MC handles the 'Album' field somewhat different. Even if several artists use exactly the same album name, the albums will be grouped individually. With my calculated field, thuis doesen't work. All 'Greatest Hits' of all Artists are mixed together or shown on one single fanned stack.

Now I want to go another way to keep disc sets together. I'll give them the set name as 'album' name and a unique 'Disc #'. Because some sets have individual names for their albums. I want to add an optional extended name to each disc. What relation shall I chose ? Wat means 'Store one value for ach album' ? Means 'album' everything which has the same album name ? Or everything which has the same artist-album combinaton. Or even the combination of artist-album-disc# ?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 05:58:35 am »

I dislike Relational fields because of these kind of side effects. I'm not sure what each option does there, maybe Wer knows. Or someone from JRiver.

Why not define AlbumSet as a regular String field (suggestion: call it Collection instead?, and "Album (Set)" as
FirstNotEmpty([AlbumSet],[AlbumArtist]-[Album])
or
FirstNotEmpty([AlbumSet],[AlbumArtist]-[Album]-[Disc #])

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 02:35:51 pm »

Why not define AlbumSet as a regular String field (suggestion: call it Collection instead?, and "Album (Set)" as
FirstNotEmpty([AlbumSet],[AlbumArtist]-[Album])

This was the solution!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: SOLVED:Tagging problem
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 03:00:43 pm »

Great :)
Try with [Album Artist], [Album Artist (Auto)] and [Artist - Album (Year)] to see which one works best for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up